Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 10 can't install NVidia proprietary driver

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Phieng

Debian 10 can't install NVidia proprietary driver

#1 Post by Phieng »

Hi,
I have NVidia 500-series GPU and Intel integrated switchable graphics on my laptop.
These are steps I tried to make it work:
1. Installed nvidia-detect and ran it. It said I need nvidia-legacy-390xx-driver
2. Installed nvidia-legacy-390xx-driver, nvidia-bumblebee, bumblebee
3. Removed xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
4. Made a reboot

The result is that NVIDIA X Server Settings application does not start (nothing happens after I click on icon with NVidia logo)
In "Settings => Details" I see only "Graphics Intel® Sandybridge Mobile"

I tried to install "primus" package, but it said that it will remove my current driver upon installation:

Code: Select all

The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libgl1-nvidia-legacy-390xx-glvnd-glx nvidia-legacy-390xx-driver nvidia-legacy-390xx-driver-libs nvidia-legacy-390xx-vulkan-icd nvidia-vulkan-common

Chrisdb

Re: Debian 10 can't install NVidia proprietary driver

#2 Post by Chrisdb »

which desktop environment are you using?

can you post the output of

Code: Select all

journalctl -xb -p3

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

The Debian wiki for Bumblebee says to install "bumblebee-nvidia primus libgl1-nvidia-glx", not your list of packages.
Did you also install the kernel headers and build-essential, also required for a successful build?
MX Linux packager and developer

kevinthefixer

#4 Post by kevinthefixer »

I don't think Bumblebee will work with a 500 series Nvidia card. The legacy driver package should take care of the whole shebang. You can try removing Bumblebee but the proprietary Nvidia setup can be difficult if not impossible to repair when borked, you may have to start over from scratch. Why do you think you need the proprietary driver anyway? Nouveau works quite well for me, I've been able to run anything I want on it. Google Earth was a challenge but an older version ran. My other thought is that a 500 series card is awfully long in the tooth, if you need fancy graphics that antique just lacks the horsepower regardless of driver.

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

kevinthefixer wrote:I don't think Bumblebee will work with a 500 series Nvidia card. The legacy driver package should take care of the whole shebang. You can try removing Bumblebee but the proprietary Nvidia setup can be difficult if not impossible to repair when borked, you may have to start over from scratch. Why do you think you need the proprietary driver anyway? Nouveau works quite well for me, I've been able to run anything I want on it. Google Earth was a challenge but an older version ran. My other thought is that a 500 series card is awfully long in the tooth, if you need fancy graphics that antique just lacks the horsepower regardless of driver.
It's not all that old if the 390 legacy driver supports it. And can you give any evidence that Bumblebee won't work with it?

Since the user said they manually blacklisted the nouveau driver build, when a successful driver build informs the user that that will happen automatically, they didn't watch the build process and missed where it errored out. I would bet that was, as already stated, because they didn't install the kernel headers and compilers. That's the most common reason.
MX Linux packager and developer

kevinthefixer

#6 Post by kevinthefixer »

It's not all that old if the 390 legacy driver supports it. And can you give any evidence that Bumblebee won't work with it?
No, I can't, just that I never heard of it before. Wouldn't Bumblebee just add an extra unnecessary layer to the already-clumsy Nvidia graphics stack? My 9-year-old box had a 600 series card until a lightning bolt took it out last year, and it wasn't the latest and greatest when I put it in. I never used Bumblebee with the proprietary drivers on it.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Post by sunrat »

kevinthefixer wrote:
No, I can't, just that I never heard of it before. Wouldn't Bumblebee just add an extra unnecessary layer to the already-clumsy Nvidia graphics stack? My 9-year-old box had a 600 series card until a lightning bolt took it out last year, and it wasn't the latest and greatest when I put it in. I never used Bumblebee with the proprietary drivers on it.
Probably best not to give advice about things you've never heard of. Bumblebee is for laptops with Optimus dual graphics technology.
OP hasn't posted since the first post 2 weeks ago so any advice is superfluous anyway.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!