Strange crashes

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Strange crashes

Postby mjs1994 » 2019-08-22 16:38

Hi guys,

I'm pretty new to Linux overall so sorry if these questions are a little basic.

I've recently switched over my main PC from Windows to Debian 10 and loving it so far. I just keep getting one recurring issue which I can't see anything about or do anything with, I think it's isolated to Atom (text editor) but I can't tell. At seemingly random intervals through the day (never more than twice) I get a crash when using Atom, but it's a system wide crash where the cursor remains on the text selection cursor Image - I can move the mouse around but nothing else, the entire screen is unresponsive other than having the ability to move the mouse around. No keyboard shortcuts seem to work.

I was wondering if there is any kind of system log which would help me diagnose what is causing this strange crash?

Thanks!
mjs1994

Re: Strange crashes

Postby arochester » 2019-08-22 16:45

How did you install it? Where from?
arochester

Postby mjs1994 » 2019-08-22 16:47

arochester wrote:How did you install it? Where from?

I downloaded the .deb file from https://atom.io/ and used sudo dpkg to install it

I did have it installed as a snap before this but ran into issues with it, so I uninstalled via snap store before doing the above.
mjs1994

Postby sunrat » 2019-08-22 22:23

mjs1994 wrote:I was wondering if there is any kind of system log which would help me diagnose what is causing this strange crash?

Check the systemd journal:
Code: Select all
journalctl -b -1 -p3

will show errors for the previous boot.

Generally it's harder to support programs installed from outside the Debian repositories. See if its Github page has an "issues" section.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!
sunrat

Return to Beginners Questions