Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

TRIM(Discard) Debian 10 system with RAID 1 SSD

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Radjin

TRIM(Discard) Debian 10 system with RAID 1 SSD

#1 Post by Radjin »

I built a system with two identical 1TB SSD’s in a raid 1 using ext4. Recently, reading articles I find that trim(discard) may not be activated. I tried the command “findmnt -O discard” and received nothing. Reading a number of articles, mostly older, I am having trouble understanding if TRIM is supported in Debian 10, RAID 1. If it is supported, I understand that running it intermittently is better than continuously, again most articles on the subject are old. Assuming it is supported, how do I activate it and run it intermittently?

Radjin~

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: TRIM(Discard) Debian 10 system with RAID 1 SSD

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Radjin wrote:I understand that running it intermittently is better than continuously
Yes, enabling discard as an fstab option slows down your drive, makes undelete operations more difficult and has been known to cause data loss.
Radjin wrote:how do I activate it and run it intermittently?

Code: Select all

# apt install util-linux
# systemctl enable --now fstrim.timer
Check with

Code: Select all

systemctl list-timers
deadbang

Radjin

#3 Post by Radjin »

Thanks for that. I had come across that command and found it was already installed, but was hesitant to use it as I could find no references to a RAID 1 setup; well no recent references. Any information on if it’s ok to run on a RAID 1?

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Radjin wrote:Any information on if it’s ok to run on a RAID 1?
I don't know, ask a search engine.
deadbang