Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

ATI/AMD graphics driver causing Debian 10 to freeze up

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
e151280

ATI/AMD graphics driver causing Debian 10 to freeze up

#1 Post by e151280 »

I have a Toshiba Tecra R840-S8430 Quad-Core Intel i5/8GB RAM/256GB SSD laptop that formerly ran Windows 7, and has since been upgraded to Windows 10, which runs quite smoothly, with NO errors or hangups. As Microsoft is planning to migrate Windows from a purchase platform, to a subscription based service, I have decided to migrate from Windows 10, to Debian Linux 10 Buster.

After installing Debian 10, I found the video resolution to be quite basic (800x600) at best, but the unit works fine. I can surf the web graphically, run apt-get installs & upgrades at the command line, apt-get to install software, etc.

I then began searching the ATI/AMD website for linux drivers for the discrete graphics card in the laptop (ATI/AMD HD6450M, with 1GB RAM). I found and followed the AMD on-site command line instructions for installing the correct drivers for the graphics card in the laptop, which then provides all the higher standard resolutions; however, once the drivers are installed, the laptop overheats within 5 minutes of use. The cooling fan ramps up, and then the laptop freezes. No mouse or keyboard activity is possible once the fan speeds up, and the laptop hard locks, with only the alternative of powering the unit off, and back on. Prior to installing the ATI/AMD drivers for the HD6450M card the laptop works fine, albeit at a much lower resolution.

I immediately suspected that dust might be clogging the heat sink/exhaust port, and causing the overheat issue, so I opened the unit to check for dust, and a cleaning. The dust was minimal, and I cleaned it out with a can of compressed air. Additionally I removed the cooling fan, cleaned the fan blades with a q-tip, toothpick, and compressed air, and reinstalled the fan, but the overheat condition persists (only in Debian 10 with ATI/AMD drivers, not in Windows).

Is there an alternative to using the ATI/AMD drivers with this laptop? Are there perhaps open source drivers from Debian, or even Ubuntu? I really want to get off of the Microsoft Windows 10 platform, as soon as possible, due to the upcoming changes in Micro$oft's marketing strategies.

Awaiting a reply to this dilemma,

Alan Campbell
Last edited by e151280 on 2019-09-06 08:42, edited 1 time in total.
Q: What's the difference between Roast Beef, and Pea Soup?
A: It's a pretty safe bet, that ANYONE can roast beef.

This electronic message has been brought to you by the language c, and the number F.

stevepusser

Re: ATI/AMD graphics driver causing Debian 10 to freeze up

#3 Post by stevepusser »

What "drivers" did you install? If Amdgpu Pro, didn't they say that only Ubuntu was supported by those?
MX Linux packager and developer

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by sunrat »

I suggest you remove your email from your post.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

e151280

#5 Post by e151280 »

done. thanks.

This electronic message has been brought to you by the language c, and the number F.

e151280

#6 Post by e151280 »

ATI/AMD HD6450M graphics driver problem solved.

I downloaded CentOS 7, installed it, and got proper
video resolutions stratghtaway.

No alternate driver installations necessary.

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

Did you read the Debian wiki about you needing to install the non-free firmware-amd-graphics package, or to use a Debian ISO that includes it? Somehow I have doubts, since your same exact issue has been brought up on these forums literally hundreds and hundreds of times, and the answer is always the same.
MX Linux packager and developer