Is there an easier way to setup Samba shares?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Is there an easier way to setup Samba shares?

Postby road hazard » 2019-09-12 01:59

Fresh install of Debian 10, stable branch. Cinnamon desktop.

Reading the Debian Wiki, I got Samba sharing setup and it's working perfectly. In Linux Mint, using Nemo.... you can just right click on a folder and easily share it out vs. in Debian, you need to manually enter the share info into the smb.conf file. Don't get me wrong, it's the exact same end result but is there any way to add that 'right click sharing' option to Nemo in Debian? No big deal, just wondering.
road hazard

Re: Is there an easier way to setup Samba shares?

Postby pylkko » 2019-09-12 12:17

It's a lot easier to set up NFS in my opinion. But, this may not be an option for all, of course. I am not sure about how this is done in reality since I don't use samba, but my understanding is that most of the file managers have an extension or addon for samba sharing in the manner that you speak of. See for example:
https://packages.debian.org/buster/nautilus-share
They probably are not installed by default on Debian, but you need to add them using apt install
pylkko

Re: Is there an easier way to setup Samba shares?

Postby djk44883 » 2019-09-12 21:59

road hazard wrote:Fresh install of Debian 10, stable branch. Cinnamon desktop.

Reading the Debian Wiki, I got Samba sharing setup and it's working perfectly. In Linux Mint, using Nemo.... you can just right click on a folder and easily share it out vs. in Debian, you need to manually enter the share info into the smb.conf file. Don't get me wrong, it's the exact same end result but is there any way to add that 'right click sharing' option to Nemo in Debian? No big deal, just wondering.

Sadly cinnamon-desktop isn't currently or actively developed in debian. Here's just one topic - viewtopic.php?f=30&t=143109&hilit=cinnamon with a current repository, which may help. I'm thinking you don't have all the dependencies needed for file-manager sharing and what ever virtual filesystems are now.

I tried cinnamon some time back, sad it's not complete in debian, found mate-desktop works, but that's me.
djk44883

Return to Beginners Questions