Tips for viewing logs? in GUI?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Tips for viewing logs? in GUI?

Postby bbox » 2019-09-25 15:02

I'm running Buster on a workstation for my office, and I have been wondering about how to streamline my log management. I get logwatch and logcheck reports, as well as a handful of other reports from cron jobs--AIDE, ntp, iptables, auditd, etc. My ideal setup would be to have a separate log server where I can view and process logs, but that just doesn't make sense in this case--I'd only be managing one workstation that rarely gets used except for processing financial transactions.

My problem is that I need to review the logs more regularly for security compliance purposes, but I have to do it from the workstation itself--which is isolated on its own segmented network. Buster now sports Wayland, which means I can't use GKSU for running GUI log viewers. Does anyone have any recommendations here? Am I going about this all wrong? I don't have the resources of an enterprise environment, so I'm trying to figure out how to do this efficiently on the small scale.
bbox

Re: Tips for viewing logs? in GUI?

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2019-09-25 15:23

https://packages.debian.org/buster/gnome-logs

Add your user to the systemd-journal group to be able to view the logs without root privileges.
Don't break DebianHow to report bugs

SharpBang GNU/Linux — a pre-configured Openbox/Tint2 desktop running on Debian stable
Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Tips for viewing logs? in GUI?

Postby bbox » 2019-09-27 14:53

That does the trick. Thanks!
bbox

Return to Beginners Questions