Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Blank screen after splash screen

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
J Arun Mani

Blank screen after splash screen

#1 Post by J Arun Mani »

Hi.
Im using Debian 10 Buster GNOME Editon. Yesterday I met with this issue. After I boot Debian, the splash screen comes correctly, but after that it simply gets stuck (ie becones a still image) and after few minutes cursor appears at bottom. Then after few minutes the screen goes black. Thats it.

What could be the issue? Is it any memory issue or graphics related??

(Windows works fine tho)...

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Blank screen after splash screen

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Have you added any foreign repositories?
deadbang

esp7

Re: Blank screen after splash screen

#3 Post by esp7 »

J Arun Mani wrote:Hi.
Im using Debian 10 Buster GNOME Editon. Yesterday I met with this issue. After I boot Debian, the splash screen comes correctly, but after that it simply gets stuck (ie becones a still image) and after few minutes cursor appears at bottom. Then after few minutes the screen goes black. Thats it.

What could be the issue? Is it any memory issue or graphics related??

(Windows works fine tho)...

Do you mean the plymouth splashscreen? If so, please boot again and press HOME so you see what is happening with the kernel. Copy paste here the error message. Pressing HOME allows you to disable the splash and show the kernel messages. It could be some inode garbage on your home partition due to improper shutdown. Also try to boot with kernel recovery mode and report back.
ThinkPad X220: i5-2520M CPU 2.5GHz - 8GB RAM 1333 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 250GB - Debian - ME_cleaned
ThinkPad X230: i5-3320M CPU 3.3GHz - 8GB RAM 1600 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 500GB - Debian - ME_cleaned