Questions before installing debian

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Questions before installing debian

Postby emil_21 » 2019-10-13 07:10

I want to create separate partition for /home, so when i need to reinstall debian i will not lose my system and programs settings. Also, after i install debian i want to encrypt system and home partition with veracrypt. During the disk partitioning i will choose manual partitioning and i will create two partitions - one with mount point to root '/', and one with mount point to home '/home'.

My question is, how to proceed if i have to reinstall debian since the home partition will be encrypted? Do i have to install debian on the root partition and after that set the encrypted partition as my home partition?
Also, on 50GB partition is it ok to set 20GB for the root partition and 30GB for the home partition?
Is this the correct non-free netinst iso file for debian buster x64: firmware-10.1.0-amd64-netinst.iso?
emil_21

Re: Questions before installing debian

Postby andre@home » 2019-10-13 16:01

You have so many questions/uncertainties...

Please follow up my advice:
Find your self an old cheap computer, there are so many around that people even may give you for free.
Set a similar system as you have now and read the how's to make your home as you want.
Then read the chapter on encryption.
And do the job.

The moment you've learned it, do it on you current system.
This way I learned Linux too.
andre@home

Return to Beginners Questions