Problem installing user theme

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Problem installing user theme

Postby emil_21 » 2019-11-12 15:09

I am trying to install this theme on debian buster with Gnome as DE: https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1236261/. I downloaded the theme compressed file and extracted the files in `/usr/share/themes/` and `$HOME/.themes`, but i don't see the theme in the Tweak Tool. Why is that? I also have enabled the 'user themes' extension.
emil_21
 
Posts: 51
Joined: 2017-04-14 06:13

Re: Problem installing user theme

Postby None1975 » 2019-11-12 15:21

emil_21 wrote:I am trying to install this theme on debian buster with Gnome as DE: https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1236261/. I downloaded the theme compressed file and extracted the files in `/usr/share/themes/` and `$HOME/.themes`, but i don't see the theme in the Tweak Tool. Why is that? I also have enabled the 'user themes' extension.

Hello. You had to choose one of the two installation locations . Or
Code: Select all
/usr/share/themes/
(this is bad decision), or
Code: Select all
$HOME/.themes
So, I suggest you delete theme from
Code: Select all
/usr/share/themes/
OS: Debian 10.1 Buster / WM: fvwm
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files in github
User avatar
None1975
 
Posts: 956
Joined: 2015-11-29 18:23
Location: Lithuania, Vilnius

Re: Problem installing user theme

Postby emil_21 » 2019-11-12 15:49

I deleted the theme files in /usr/share/themes/ but the theme still won't show in Tweak Tool. Is there any other way to try to activate the theme than using the Tweak Tool?
emil_21
 
Posts: 51
Joined: 2017-04-14 06:13

Re: Problem installing user theme

Postby None1975 » 2019-11-12 17:50

emil_21 wrote:I deleted the theme files in /usr/share/themes/ but the theme still won't show in Tweak Tool. Is there any other way to try to activate the theme than using the Tweak Tool?

This is metacity theme. Did you install this (gtk3 theme) ?
https://www.pling.com/p/1013580/

or this ?
https://www.pling.com/p/1195237/
OS: Debian 10.1 Buster / WM: fvwm
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files in github
User avatar
None1975
 
Posts: 956
Joined: 2015-11-29 18:23
Location: Lithuania, Vilnius

Re: Problem installing user theme

Postby emil_21 » 2019-11-12 22:21

I was able to install gtk3 theme. I guess the metacity theme is not possible to be installed.
emil_21
 
Posts: 51
Joined: 2017-04-14 06:13

Re: Problem installing user theme

Postby None1975 » 2019-11-14 08:00

emil_21 wrote:I was able to install gtk3 theme. I guess the metacity theme is not possible to be installed.

Metacity was the default window manager used by the GNOME 2 desktop environment until it was replaced by Mutter in GNOME 3. And yes, Metacity is a simple compositing window manager that integrates nicely with GNOME Flashback.
OS: Debian 10.1 Buster / WM: fvwm
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files in github
User avatar
None1975
 
Posts: 956
Joined: 2015-11-29 18:23
Location: Lithuania, Vilnius


Return to Beginners Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

fashionable