Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

hdmi output only shows background

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
soosenmoo

hdmi output only shows background

#1 Post by soosenmoo »

hello ive recently started using debian stretch after a while of distro hopping and i think im sticking with it

now i wanted to watch a movie on my tv using hdmi but when i connect it only my background shows, not even the top and bottom menu bars
weirdly enough redshift's color effect does show up and also changes at different config levels on tv screen but thats about it

i cant find any similar cases so im kind of at a loss
have found this https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... ot-working and the commands output for me is
snd_hda_codec_hdmi 57344 1
snd_hda_codec 151552 4 snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec_realtek
snd_hda_core 94208 5 snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_codec_realtek
snd_pcm 114688 4 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_core
snd 94208 16 snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hwdep,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_timer,snd_pcm
though i dont know if this has any use for you

have any idea what can be causing this?

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: hdmi output only shows background

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Try buster instead, stretch is now oldstable.

And make sure any non-free firmware needed by your super-secret choice of video card is installed.
deadbang

Mr. Lumbergh

Re: hdmi output only shows background

#3 Post by Mr. Lumbergh »

soosenmoo wrote:hello ive recently started using debian stretch after a while of distro hopping and i think im sticking with it

now i wanted to watch a movie on my tv using hdmi but when i connect it only my background shows, not even the top and bottom menu bars
weirdly enough redshift's color effect does show up and also changes at different config levels on tv screen but thats about it

i cant find any similar cases so im kind of at a loss
have found this https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... ot-working and the commands output for me is
snd_hda_codec_hdmi 57344 1
snd_hda_codec 151552 4 snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec_realtek
snd_hda_core 94208 5 snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_codec_realtek
snd_pcm 114688 4 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_core
snd 94208 16 snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hwdep,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_timer,snd_pcm
though i dont know if this has any use for you

have any idea what can be causing this?
Are you also using a monitor, so you functionally have a dual display setup? If so, it's probably being seen as a secondary; try dragging a window over and see if it goes. If not, try setting up monitors in the settings for your DE.