Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How do I move a window past the top edge of the screen?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
kerryhall

How do I move a window past the top edge of the screen?

#1 Post by kerryhall »

I actually have this issue on two different laptops, due to their smaller screen sizes.

Desktop env is mate.

There are a few applications I've been using that simply cannot have their windows resized. In order to access parts of the gui cut off by the screen, I would like to be able to move the window past the top of the screen. I tried doing this with the keyboard, using the shortcut alt+f7, but mate won't let me move the window past the top of the screen.

Another option: I would be happy if I could simply zoom out on the desktop, fitting the entire window on the screen. Compiz had this feature back in the day, I used to have it running on my desktop in 2006. Extremely useful feature, I wish window managers now still had it. I have opengl working on both laptops, so some sort of window manager that uses 3d acceleration is a possibility, if it exists.

But at the end of the day, I'm happy with any solution that allows me to simply view the part of the window that I can't "reach" right now.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: How do I move a window past the top edge of the screen?

#2 Post by sunrat »

With every desktop I ever used, just hold the Alt key and drag with the mouse. Never used Mate though.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Chrisdb

#3 Post by Chrisdb »

Nothing strange popping out in the logs, f.e. 'xsession-errors?

You can also try an alternative window manager in Mate..

NFT5
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#4 Post by NFT5 »

I don't think that you can drag a window off the top of the screen in MATE. At least I've never been able to do it.

However, on a notebook computer with a smaller screen, real estate is precious, as you say. One trick is in Control Centre >> Windows >> Behaviour where you can set windows to roll up when the title bar is double clicked. I find this useful when I want the window accessible but need the extra space that it's taking up. I also use 4 Workspaces, which quadruples the available space.

arzgi

#5 Post by arzgi »

Also I have no experience of mate, but recall at least occasion where I had to define virtual screen which was larger than the display. Check settings, or google.

Sorry, can't be more specific.

Chrisdb

#6 Post by Chrisdb »

Apparently you can zoom in with compiz. Configurable in mate tweak:
https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/desktop ... ate/2973/2

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#7 Post by wizard10000 »

arzgi wrote:...recall at least occasion where I had to define virtual screen which was larger than the display.
xrandr will do it. I had to do it on a 1024x600 netbook screen.
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin