Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

GDE log in problem

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
neieljair

GDE log in problem

#1 Post by neieljair »

I have installed Debian 10 Cinnamon a few days ago alongside Windows 10, it worked perfectly, but I didn't like the Cinnamon desktop environment, so I decided to change to Gnome, since I'm sort of familiar with it. The thing is, when I installed the GDE, I would be able to get to the log in screen, but as soon as tried to log in, the computer would crash, usually the whole PC would freeze and I couldn't do anything else but to force a shutdown but sometimes the mouse pointer would move and I would be able to change things like volume and brightness from the keyboard shortcuts only, but nothing beyond that; the PC would remain showing a grey-ish screen.

The problem would solve when I switch to Cinnamon, I'd have to reboot the PC right after though. So I thought that maybe downloading an ISO of Debian 10 with GDE preinstalled would be a good idea, and it worked great in the Live USB, so I installed it. But now the very same problem persists regardless of having installed GDE 'natively'. I tried accessing the terminal by pressing Ctrl + F1/F2 or Ctrl + Alt + F1/F2 but every time I did so, the computer would crash again and I would be unable to use the mouse or whatever, forcing me to hard reset the PC every time. I'm clueless about what should I do.

I also tried running nomodeset but the PC would not even load up the OS, it would only show a black screen with a single "_" in it. noacpi didn't do anything, however when I was using Cinnamon, I had to use noacpi or it would get stuck.

My specs are:
  • Intel UHD Graphics 630
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050
  • Diskdrive: ST1000LX015-1U7172
  • the PC is ACPI x64-bits based
BTW, I had installed Ubuntu before with GDE too, and I didn't run into any problems related to GDE specifically.