Use Nouveau without purging Nvidia from the system?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Use Nouveau without purging Nvidia from the system?

Postby Xeno Idaltu » 2020-02-20 01:36

I read some info online and they claim that to use Nouveau drivers back I need to purge Nvidia from the system. This is not good because it forces me to have internet to install Nvidia drivers if I ever feel like installing them again just to use them for Blender/Steam. Is there a command where I can choose which drivers to use without purging Nvidia?
Xeno Idaltu

Re: Use Nouveau without purging Nvidia from the system?

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-02-20 09:02

Xeno Idaltu wrote:This is not good because it forces me to have internet to install Nvidia drivers if I ever feel like installing them again just to use them for Blender/Steam.

Why not just install the .deb(s) from /var/cache/apt/archives/ instead?

I think you can enable nouveau with the nvidia-driver package installed by removing the nouveau blacklist and creating an X.Org configuration file (or editing the NVIDIA X.Org configuration file, not sure how it works for buster).
Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Use Nouveau without purging Nvidia from the system?

Postby Xeno Idaltu » 2020-02-21 08:35

I might try Arch's steps on how to do this but instead of file /etc/modprobe.d/nouveau_blacklist.conf on Debian it's on /etc/nvidia/legacy-390xx/nvidia-blacklists-nouveau.conf

Or at least that's what I assume since BLACKLIST NOUVEAU is inside the file and I just have to put a #

Now that gave me another idea. Is it possible to have Kernel-LTS use Nouveau/XRender and another kernel use OpenGL/Nvidia? That way I can choose what combination to use on boot..
Xeno Idaltu

Return to Beginners Questions