Minimal install Debian 10 (Buster) with Openbox [SOLVED]

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Re: Minimal install Debian 10 (Buster) with Openbox

Postby cowogij » 2020-03-16 20:15

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
cowogij wrote:When I ran the command it just returned nothing, and I ran status graphical.target command which returned that everything was enabled etc. I then ran systemctl start lightdm.service but it returend that there is no lightdm.service

So have you installed LightDM? If you have then check the systemd journal to see what is actually happening.

See also
Code: Select all
systemctl get-default
ls -l /etc/systemd/system/display-manager.service

Thanks for the quick reply. I ran get-default and got that the graphical.target is the default. Also it seems that the display-manager.service file is missing. There is no such file in that directory.

EDIT: Wait I am actually retarded it seems that I have forgotten to install lightdm, but just assumed that I had. Just realized that its not in my prevously mentioned list.

EDIT2: I am sorry for wasting your time, it seems that during my confusion I had apparently forgotten to install lightdm. It now works and I feel stupid af. Maybe its time to sleep for now :/

Thanks for everything!
cowogij

Postby Deb-fan » 2020-03-16 22:16

^ Happens to every techie. :)

By the way, Gentoowiki mentions that generally having X process running as user is some improvement in security on a single user system but in a shared multi-user, esp multiseat setups actually makes it trivial for users to snoop on each other. The Gentooees, compiling everything from source tend towards knowing their stuff. This X as root or having the process being under a user, is as clear as mud I guess at least haven't invested enough effort to truly get it. It's been commonly done, running as a root process(still is for many)forever, so either way not stressing overmuch about it.

This is on topic, OP is being advised to just use lightdm, it's setup to run X under root, so still kicking this around as something of interest. Wanted to wedge that info in above post in too though. :)
Deb-fan

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-03-17 17:51

cowogij wrote:It now works

Excellent news :)

Please edit the title of the thread (in your first post) and prepend [SOLVED] to help others with the same problem.

And I would just like to take this opportunity to emphasise the benefits of running X under a non-root user by sharing this link, which explains things nicely:

https://lwn.net/Articles/341033/

The Debian developers considered this improvement so significant that they included it in the official release notes for stretch (when it was first made possible):

https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch ... uires-root

I note that a reference has been made in this thread to the Gentoo wiki page about rootless X[1] along with a suggestion that running X under a normal user allows for input device snooping but this is only relevant for the hack suggested on that wiki page (ie, adding the user to the input group) and it does *not* apply to Debian at all because Debian uses systemd's login session to allow rootless X, unlike Gentoo (which uses OpenRC as the default init system).
Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Minimal install Debian 10 (Buster) with Openbox [SOLVED]

Postby oswaldkelso » 2020-03-20 22:33

The op asked for a minimal install. Surely removing lightdm and using startx is the answer, rather than adding gdm3.

"Il semble que la perfection soit atteinte non quand il n'y a plus rien à ajouter, mais quand il n'y a plus rien à retrancher." — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry :-)
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
oswaldkelso

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-03-20 22:40

oswaldkelso wrote:Surely removing lightdm and using startx is the answer, rather than adding gdm3.

Yes, I agree. And don't call me Shirley :mrgreen:
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby Deb-fan » 2020-03-21 00:23

Am sure OP is happier with(just wanted)a more minimal gnu/nix install. All's well that ends well eh. :P

Gentoowiki didn't mention a specific hack or missed it if so, just gave the impression on multiseat-user setups it's easier to snoop with X not running as a privileged process, makes some sense in general, overall irrelevant to vast majority of desktop nixers. Which is still what I view this as, a non-issue. I like going without a display manager for a couple reasons and having x under my user vs root is only a happy happenstance in this situation. Still must not be a big priority upstream or it'd receive more attention and however it goes as nixer's we're relying on Xorg-etc. Has done it's job well enough for a very long time. Nothing wrong with desktop nixer's choosing to take precautions either, their systems + choice. :)
Deb-fan

Previous

Return to Beginners Questions