Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Immediate resume from suspend on Thinkstation

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Immediate resume from suspend on Thinkstation

#16 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

bremington wrote:I have tried to disable wol
Does your motherboard firmware ("BIOS") have an option for that? I think that should be preferred over software solutions.

Otherwise add a file at /etc/pm/power.d/disable_wol to override /usr/lib/pm-utils/power.d/disable_wol. Or just remove pm-utils.
bremington wrote:Some odd quirk in the BIOS or possibly with the NIC is where my thinking is going
Yes, perhaps. See also https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wa ... nel_quirks

tl;dr: add the xhci_hcd.quirks=270336 kernel parameter.
deadbang

bremington

#17 Post by bremington »

Deb-fan:

Thanks for your understanding of my boneheaded, OCD, nitpicking perfectionism:-) In reality, it isn't bad just shutting down and booting up again, but tell my stubborn head that.

I'm running a very recent SSD and, I have to say that I consider the performance of this old boat anchor w/ Deb10 to be practically miraculous. Running "free -h" shows very little swap usage. The responsiveness of the system tells this former SunOS/Solaris admin (OK, only a few boxes at work years ago) that I'm definitely not running into swap hell. I know all too well that draggy feeling of a system with RAM cram:-)

bremington

#18 Post by bremington »

Disabled in BIOS:

WOL
PCI Wakeup
Wake 0n Alarm
PCI Modem Ring Detection
Preboot Execution Envitronment (PXE).

Wasn't XHCI introduced in USB 3.0? My USB ports are only 2.0. No references to XHCI in BIOS.

I tried the xhci_hcd.quirks boot param (which I guess makes no sense if XHCI was introduced in USB 3.0) and it made -- tada! -- no difference.

I uninstalled pm_utils and ... no difference.

And, thanks again.

bremington

#19 Post by bremington »

I noticed some error messages (first messages in the boot sequence):

Code: Select all

3/29/20 3:51 PM	brian-deb10	kernel	[    0.418184] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Failure creating [\_SB.PCI0._OSC.CAPB], AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20180810/dsfield-183)
3/29/20 3:51 PM	brian-deb10	kernel	[    0.418227] ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed \_SB.PCI0._OSC, AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20180810/psparse-516)
                                    [    0.423376]psparse-516 platform INT0800:00: failed to claim resource 0:[mem 0xff800000-0xffffffff] 
3/29/20 3:51 PM	brian-deb10	kernel	[    0.423413] acpi INT0800:00: platform device creation failed: -16
They've been there all along on every distro, I guess I got so used to seeing them that I forgot about them, yeesh.

I've tried searching on the "\_SB.PCI0._OSC.CAPB", but haven't been able to find anything relevant. The second message is about some kind of memory conflict (I think).

Head_on_a_Stick

#20 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

So did you try the acpi=off kernel paramater? Or any of the other acpi= options listed in the link I provided in this post?
deadbang

bremington

#21 Post by bremington »

So did you try the acpi=off kernel parameter? Or any of the other acpi= options listed in the link I provided in this post?
acpi = off: won't suspend (freezes part way to suspend); weird graphics in cinnamon

acpi = noirq: immediate resume (IR)

acpi = rsdt: IR

acpi = copy_dsdt: IR

acpi_apic_instance = 2: IR

acpi_force_32bit_addr: IR

acpi_os_name = "Microsoft Windows": IR

acpi_enforce_resources = lax: IR

At least the result is pretty consistent:-)

Thanks.

bremington

#22 Post by bremington »

acpi_sci = low: IR

acpi_skip_timer_override: IR

reboot, reboot, reboot...