Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

orphaned inode 658889

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Danfinn

orphaned inode 658889

#1 Post by Danfinn »

Although my system works ok most of the time, I get an orphan cropping up, usually when I'm starting Firefox or Libre Office.

How can I prevent this happening?

My system is Debian GNU/Linux 9 (Stretch) 32-Bit. Gnome 3.22.2

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: orphaned inode 658889

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Have you rebooted? If so then try fsck(8) and check your RAM and drive health.

See also https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/20 ... 00107.html & http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/113594/
deadbang

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by p.H »

Danfinn wrote:I get an orphan cropping up, usually when I'm starting Firefox or Libre Office.
What do you mean exactly ?
AFAIK, orphaned inodes do not just happen in the middle of a session. They are created by unclean shutdown and detected by fsck at boot time.

Danfinn

#4 Post by Danfinn »

Well my hp is an old machine, say 10 years and it boots up fine until it locks. Can't do anything with it but power off. When it comes up then the system reports clearing orphaned inodes and another few codes. Since I am now home working due to the virus my system has been very stable. I try not to multi task too much with it as I only have 4gig memory, just rather annoying that when I open an application the little circle just stops and I have to power off.

Yes I am aware that my memory should be more, but this is the max this box will hold, and my mission is to keep old pc's working for me, and I like Debian Linux. I have another box I use too with even less memory, running wheezy. This machine is great, very reliable, but not supported so it has to stay stand alone, not on the net.

Danfinn

#5 Post by Danfinn »

Sorry folks. Did some diagnostics today and found that Gnome was locking up. Clearly the orphaned inodes were what were being lost was when I powered off the system.

I now need to find out what is troubling Gnome and why it only happens now and again.

My network is good. I can find my wireless printer, via the ethernet and router. Looked at the system monitor and all seems cool, just that Firefox maxes out the 2 CPU's when it starts, Libre Office does not do that, maybe 80%. But both can cause Gnome to lock up. Then nothing works.

arzgi

#6 Post by arzgi »

Danfinn wrote:My network is good. I can find my wireless printer, via the ethernet and router. Looked at the system monitor and all seems cool, just that Firefox maxes out the 2 CPU's when it starts, Libre Office does not do that, maybe 80%. But both can cause Gnome to lock up. Then nothing works.
There are also more light DEs in Debian's repo. I used XFCE with i386 notebook, which max memory was 2GB. Changed to more modern laptop, but kept XFCE.