Debian 7 Wheezy Freezing

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Debian 7 Wheezy Freezing

Postby yoolfrolic » 2020-04-09 09:17

Hi all, my first post.

I run LinuxCNC 2.7.14 and Debian 7 Wheezy on old 32 bit desktop, driving a turret mill in a home workshop.
It works fine, most of the time.

But, occasionally I get a frozen display.
No keyboard or mouse response.
Thankfully not during a machining job so far.
It is not a temperature problem as one freeze was immediately after startup.

I just need some guidance on where to look for log files that might provide an insight into the possible cause of the freeze.

Thanks in advance,
John.
yoolfrolic

Re: Debian 7 Wheezy Freezing

Postby pylkko » 2020-04-10 10:22

I would look at all and any as you do not know at all what is causing it.

Is this machine on any network? Can you remote access it to check if the display is simply not displaying anything?
pylkko

Postby yoolfrolic » 2020-04-10 21:57

I have been examining log files but no joy at all.

The workshop machine is isolated, no network, no software other than the standard LinuxCNC.

I will look at getting it onto the net, but I don't think it has WiFi (yes, that old !).
My plan is to put a router in the workshop.
My Ipad may also be able to connect via Bluetooth.

Additionally, I am trying to educate myself on a facility built-in known as "HAL", hardware abstraction layer.
Aim here would be to drive a LED from the parallel port operated by a 1 second on/off timer.

But, the machine has now been powered up for 4 days in a row for 10 hours a day without a fault !

John.
yoolfrolic

Postby Bulkley » 2020-04-10 23:26

Intermittent freezes are often hardware related. Display, keyboard and mouse are all X11 related so look at video problems; an old card maybe? A deteriorating power supply can drive you crazy; if possible, try another. You discounted over heating but did you check to see that your cooler is still properly fastened to the CPU with heat compound? Re-seat every plug and jack including cards and memory. Good luck.
Bulkley

Postby morse_the_horse » 2020-04-15 20:10

You can also try dmesg to see if there are any problems.

Code: Select all
sudo dmesg |more

Do it right after bootup. I found numerous problems on a newly installed system (nothing specific related to your problem) with missing firmware, incorrect setting in the BIOS, etc.

Scan all the messages. If you get anything like "missing" or "error" or similar, copy that phrase and do a web search to see if there are any fixes or if it is just a normal occurrence. Still not sure? You can post a problem on the appropriate forum to get a clarification.

And do look closely at all the bootup output on the screen, some of which doesn't show up in dmesg. Those things disappear almost as quickly as they show up so have your phone camera on and facing the computer to quickly catch them before they disappear. I dramatically improved boot speed after seeing one of those messages, searching the net and implementing the very-simple fix.
morse_the_horse

Return to Beginners Questions