Installation of GNOME on top of KDE

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Installation of GNOME on top of KDE

Postby Geo » 2020-04-09 20:24

Is it feasible and if yes, how, to install GNOME on top of KDE? I work with Debian 9 (Strech) and when I initially installed them I opted for KDE but I am having some issues with plasma and I was thinking that f I install GNOME they might go away. Is it possible to do it, or there will be problems?
Geo

Re: Installation of GNOME on top of KDE

Postby cuckooflew » 2020-04-09 20:38

Debian does support multiple Desktops, and Window managers. More of my opinion then anything, but I personally would not install Gnome, I had bad experience with it in the past, and KDE is not something I would want either, but yes you can install both, and you select which one you will use when you first login,
I have OpenBox, Xoffice, Twm all on mine, ...Ahh, as far as this goes:
but I am having some issues with plasma and I was thinking that f I install GNOME they might go away.
I don't think installing Gnome will solve any issues that KDE has, that seems absurd to think it would. It might be to your advantage to give details on what these "issues" are, and try fixing them. There is no reason install Gnome would solve those issues, unless you ahave some kind of packages/programs that have dependencies on something Gnome uses, but with out good details , who knows , besides you ?
Please Read.. What we expect you have already Done.
My grand father knows all about everything:
…one flew east, one flew west,
One flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
cuckooflew

Postby NFT5 » 2020-04-10 00:28

Can you install Gnome over KDE? Yes.

How? With your favoured package manager - apt/aptitude/apt get/synaptic/apper etc.

Would I recommend it? No.

I've tried the multiple desktop solution before and found that it introduces more issues than it solves. For example, if you mixed two desktops you may get certain instances where, when called from within a program, the file manager from one will open rather than the other.

What I would recommend is that you identify those issues that you're having with KDE and try to solve those. If there is a specific app/program from Gnome that does something that can't be done in KDE then install that alone, provided it doesn't need the whole desktop as a dependency. This is more likely to work with desktops that share the same heritage, for example MATE and Gnome.

After I gave up the dual desktop idea I've now progressed to separate installations on the one machine. This gives me redundancy which is essential for a production machine. For example, on this one I have Buster KDE and Buster MATE. In the event that one goes belly up, or there's something that works better in one than the other, I can just reboot and use the other.
NFT5

Postby sunrat » 2020-04-10 02:00

NFT5 wrote:What I would recommend is that you identify those issues that you're having with KDE and try to solve those.

+1
I've tried multiple desktops several times In Debian and MX and always ended up with a big pile of poo. Post your issues here and you may find solutions.
A great alternative would be to set up a dual boot with Buster KDE. I use that and it runs sweet.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!
sunrat

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-04-10 10:25

Geo wrote:how, to install GNOME on top of KDE?

Code: Select all
# tasksel

But your menus will get *very* busy afterwards...
Head_on_a_Stick

Return to Beginners Questions