Removing root privileges

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Removing root privileges

Postby jagheterintelars » 2020-04-10 21:03

Hello!

I installed Debian a couple of weeks ago. All went fine. I found all the answers for the questions I had. But a couple of days ago I ran into this simple problem which I really cant find an answer to, even though its probably the easiest solution.

The problem is that I made my own account into an administrator account (root account?) by exploring the graphical interface of the settings. When in the users section I clicked on the button that made me an admin.

As I prefer to operate as a normal user on a daily basis and only use the root privileges only when they really are needed, I would like to reverse these changes.

The button i clicked when i clicked to be an admin on this computer is not clickable anymore, and Ive searched a lot. But the only answers I find is how to make yourself an admin, and not how to take the privileges back. Very irritating. I dont know if its my limited english skills that makes me unable to find a solution online, or if no one in the world before me has wanted to remove their own admin privileges.

Thank you beforehand

Friendly regards,
/Hannes
jagheterintelars

Re: Removing root privileges

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-04-11 08:21

No idea what you mean by an "administrator account", that term is meaningless for GNU/Linux systems. Are you actually running Ubuntu? Seems like the kind of nonsense terminology they would use to ease confusion for the Windows refugees.

I'm only guessing but you probably mean that your user can gain root privileges with the sudo command so try
Code: Select all
sudo gpasswd -d $USER sudo
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby arid » 2020-04-11 18:19

No idea what you mean by an "administrator account"

I believe what he has accomplished is booting up into the root account. Easy way is to su in cli and startx. Now tell him how easy it is to fix it.
There's no drama in my sid......
arid

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-04-11 19:45

arid wrote:I believe what he has accomplished is booting up into the root account. Easy way is to su in cli and startx.

Perhaps try actually reading the OP? They used an option in their graphical desktop.

EDIT: and what makes you think they identify as male?
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby cuckooflew » 2020-04-11 23:58

===edit----READ the bottom edit first !!!!!

The problem is that I made my own account into an administrator account (root account?) by exploring the graphical interface of the settings. When in the users section I clicked on the button that made me an admin.

Do what H-O_A_S says, or try searching, use the key words,
How to remove administrative permissions on Debian

Oddly enough all though I specifically said Debian, all the results are for Ubuntu, but should still be able to be used on Debian, :
jagheterintelars> I dont know if its my limited english skills that makes me unable to find a solution online, or if no one in the world before me has wanted to remove their own admin privileges.

I don't buy this, it is a common question, however, if English is not your language, do the search in your language, and it should return results in your language. If we knew what language, me or some one else could do a translation , maybe.
jagheterintelars> As I prefer to operate as a normal user on a daily basis and only use the root privileges only when they really are needed, I would like to reverse these changes

This is one of the many hits I got, when I did a search, one of the first , :
From:https://askubuntu.com/questions/335987/remove-sudo-privileges-from-a-user-without-deleting-the-user

You can also use gpasswd:

sudo gpasswd -d username sudo

This will remove username from group sudo.

Which is the same as what H_O_A_S suggested,... again, if the OP does not understand, due to lack of english skills, nobody can do a translation with out knowing what language to translate to...
Last note: See 'man gpasswd', for details on the command,..
FRom another hit:
from: https://linuxhint.com/sudo_linux/To remove a user from sudoers on Debian based distributions run the following command:
deluser USERNAME sudo

So, there is more then one way to skin a cat,....Take your pick on how you want to do this
===edit==IMPORTANT====
Make sure you do have a root account set up, before you remove your administrative privileges, you might need it one day.
Please Read.. What we expect you have already Done.
My grand father knows all about everything:
…one flew east, one flew west,
One flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
cuckooflew

Return to Beginners Questions