CPU1 Running at 80-90% and Laptop is hot

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

CPU1 Running at 80-90% and Laptop is hot

Postby g_sand » 2020-04-19 00:32

Hi I urgently need help. I'm having a problem with one of my kworkers. The CPU1 is at 80-90% at any given time. I have Ubuntu 19.10 running on my system which is a Surface Book 2. I have tried the jakeday github patch but it also hasn't worked. A reddit user told me I would have to recompile the kernel myself which is not an easy thing to do for a beginner...

I have tried a few other forums like askubuntu where another user told me this is normal and a power management thing. That is completely not true. There is definitely a bug. Any help would be appreciated
g_sand

Re: CPU1 Running at 80-90% and Laptop is hot

Postby morse_the_horse » 2020-04-19 01:02

Asking an Ubuntu question in a Debian forum is not likely to get you a lot more expertise than the Ubuntu forum. Have you tried asking in askubuntu.com? You also might mention in that forum what you tried as well as what, if anything, you found in a web search of "ubuntu" + "surface book" + "kworker" although I found, when leaving out the "surface book", that the first hit I got was on:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/33640/k ... o-much-cpu

You might look at one of the many performance monitor programs and post that output along with your question to the ubuntu forum. "top" comes to mind as a simple program to use as a start.
morse_the_horse

Re: CPU1 Running at 80-90% and Laptop is hot

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-04-19 10:17

g_sand wrote:I have Ubuntu 19.10 running on my system

Please go away.
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
Head_on_a_Stick

Return to Beginners Questions