Build a Linux distro.

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Re: Build a Linux distro.

Postby Dai_trying » 2020-06-20 10:14

I'm not sure if it will fit your criteria, but I use live-build to create my own live-cd with the packages I want and very little that I don't, there is a learning curve with this and I found quite a few sites when researching that gave be bits of information about it. There are also some useful videos on YouTube that might help with this too, I found eznix to be very helpful when I was looking for information.

I wouldn't call this a new Linux Distro though as it is simply Debian tailored to my needs (including setting correct locales/keyboard/etc... for me), but that seems to be what many other "Distros" actually are (Debian with different wallpaper), but it might be useful to you.
Dai_trying

Re: Build a Linux distro.

Postby cuckooflew » 2020-06-20 10:58

Build a Linux distro.
Postby hack3rcon » 2020-04-19 21:58
Hello,
I want to create a Linux distro myself and don't like to use automation tools like "Linux Live Kit" and "SUSE Studio". I want to add and connect components myself and create the distro. IsLFS a right way?
Thank you.

If you plan on trying to distribute your creation, or customized system, then it becomes a distro, but that opens up a can of worms, the details I suppose are another topic, but if it is a distribution, one needs to consider the needs and "wish lists" of the other users, also one needs to be able to provide support for it, etc.
Any way, what Dai_trying says is a good starting point, building a working live "installation" image, that can be used on CD,DVD, or USB, the later is maybe the most popular.
@hack3rcon, have you even tried reading some of the LFS material ? I have the impression you have not, in fact sometimes I wonder if you even read any of the responses, but any way :
Postby hack3rcon » 2020-06-08 19:24
Thank you, but I need a manual to teach me how add the packages together, which packages are needed and so.

That is what "LFS" is, and you ask about it including a installer,...if you had read some of it, you would see for yourself, no it does not, and it mentions Debian, as well as others, most base systems come with a installer, .....In most cases the "net install" images are best, and good for a base system, that works.
Any way, why don't you just read some of the "hand book" material available? LFS is one of the most popular, but need to read some of it,..EG: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/chapter01/how.html
The LFS system will be built by using an already installed Linux distribution (such as Debian, OpenMandriva, Fedora, or openSUSE). This existing Linux system (the host) will be used as a starting point to provide necessary programs, including a compiler, linker, and shell, to build the new system. Select the “development” option during the distribution installation to be able to access these tools.

As an alternative to installing a separate distribution onto your machine, you may wish to use a LiveCD from a commercial distribution.

Chapter 2 of this book describes how to create a new Linux native partition and file system. This is the place where the new LFS system will be compiled and installed. Chapter 3 explains which packages and patches need to be downloaded to build an LFS system and how to store them on the new file system. Chapter 4 discusses the setup of an appropriate working environment. Please read Chapter 4 carefully as it explains several important issues you need be aware of before beginning to work your way through Chapter 5 and beyond.

Chapter 5 explains the installation of a number of packages that will form the basic development suite (or toolchain) which is used to build the actual system in Chapter 6. Some of these packages are needed to resolve circular dependencies—for example, to compile a compiler, you need a compiler.

When I was reading the above, last night, I realized your questions indicate you have not read anything, probably do not read anything, and maybe are playing a game with us, but any way, others may find some of the answers usefull.
by hack3rcon » 2020-06-08 19:24
Thank you, but I need a manual to teach me how add the packages together, which packages are needed and so.

So read the book,
Chapter 3 explains which packages and patches need to be downloaded to build an LFS system and how to store them on the new file system

I am done with this now, we , l have to see what response you have, and then proceed from there.
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Google knows a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
…one flew east, one flew west,
One flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
cuckooflew

Previous

Return to Beginners Questions