[question] How to restore gnome desktop sessions?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

[question] How to restore gnome desktop sessions?

Postby FOSS-15-Great » 2020-04-22 20:20

The title says it all - I would like to resume where I left off before logging out. According to the Debian Wiki this should be possible using gnome session manager but I am struggling to figure out how to do that. I am also not sure where exactly I might find the correct .config file for Gnome to look for such a function.

I searched this forum and searched the interwebs but not much has come up except for this blog entry but surely there must be an easier way to do this?

Thank you in advance for any help in getting this solved!
FOSS-15-Great

Re: [question] How to restore gnome desktop sessions?

Postby pylkko » 2020-04-23 06:53

This inforamtion is coming from my memory, which is not infallible and I have not verified any of this to be true.

I believe what happened is that GNOME used to have a this property baked in, that you could end the session shut down the computer, and then resume the session. In this case it would open all the windows again in the same places they were before saving. However, they then dropped this feature, which I think was because most people actually restore the entire session by just locking the session (in which case when you resume, you truly resume instead of recreating the previous session). In this case, you have to either hibernate the computer or suspend the session to RAM, however, you cannot boot the entire computer again. However, most people hate rebooting anyway, resuming from a suspended session is much faster.

AFAIK it is still possible to use this "old" way of saving the session. However, you need to do it with an extension it is no longer a part of the "core GNOME".
pylkko

Postby FOSS-15-Great » 2020-04-23 09:24

pylkko wrote:This inforamtion is coming from my memory, which is not infallible and I have not verified any of this to be true.

I believe what happened is that GNOME used to have a this property baked in, that you could end the session shut down the computer, and then resume the session. In this case it would open all the windows again in the same places they were before saving. However, they then dropped this feature, which I think was because most people actually restore the entire session by just locking the session (in which case when you resume, you truly resume instead of recreating the previous session). In this case, you have to either hibernate the computer or suspend the session to RAM, however, you cannot boot the entire computer again. However, most people hate rebooting anyway, resuming from a suspended session is much faster.

AFAIK it is still possible to use this "old" way of saving the session. However, you need to do it with an extension it is no longer a part of the "core GNOME".

Thank you - I sometimes need to dual boot so restarting is happening more often than I would like. I will look into hibernation but am anxious it might lead me down another rabbit hole regarding power management (at least on one of my machines where closing the lid freezes the system).
FOSS-15-Great

Postby pylkko » 2020-04-23 12:33

You could run Windows in GNOME boxes or in virtmanager. To avoid booting different operating systems.
pylkko

Postby FOSS-15-Great » 2020-04-24 09:26

pylkko wrote:You could run Windows in GNOME boxes or in virtmanager. To avoid booting different operating systems.

That is a good point, thank you. But the only reason for me to boot into Windows is to run music software which will not work well in virtualised environments.
thank you for the heads up on GNOME boxes though - I am new to GNOME and had not even seen it.
FOSS-15-Great

Return to Beginners Questions