[not working] two drives with Debian Buster - Grub2 entry go

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

[not working] two drives with Debian Buster - Grub2 entry go

Postby FOSS-15-Great » 2020-04-24 07:24

I have a dual boot system with Windows 10 and Debian Buster on one SSD and have since installed a second (M.2) disk with a fresh install of Debian 10. The plan is to eventually restore an installation from my other laptop onto the freshly installed system (M.2 disk).

The problem is that the Grub2 entry for the SSD Debian install has disappeared from the Grub2 menu - I can only see the most recent install (on the M.2 drive). But the Windows entry on the original SSD is still being recognised and displayed during boot. I have tried the following:

1) sudo update-grub
2) mounting sda /boot and / LUKS partition and running update-grub and also grub-mkconfig

The Grub2 entry of the original Debian install in the SSD does still not show up at boot. When I select the SSD manually in BIOS I get:
Code: Select all
error: no such cryptodisk found. error: disk 'cryptouuid /UUID of SSD' not found Entering rescue mode.

It seems that, upon finishing the install on my M.2 drive the Debian installer made changes to the bootloader resulting in the above scenario. As I am still experimenting with different disks and installs (and am also looking into installing AVLinux on one of the drives) I need to get to the bottom of this so I know what to do if this problem happens again.

I know I am not supposed to touch the grub.cfg but am wondering how I can manually add the SSD Debian install back into the bootloader.

Any help much appreciated!
FOSS-15-Great

Re: [not working] two drives with Debian Buster - Grub2 entr

Postby Dai_trying » 2020-04-24 09:34

You probably have two efi boot partitions and your UEFI firmware (usually) only reads one of them. It could be that by removing one of them might give you your original boot sequence back. Obviously you should back up anything before doing this in case you remove the wrong one or something goes wrong.

In my UEFI machines I can adjust pretty much all boot options to allow me to boot from any EFI partition but some UEFI firmwares will have issues with that.

If it were me I would start by removing your secondary drive, ensure you can get the system running correctly without it and then add the second drive (maybe remove the EFI partition) and run update-grub after installing the second drive and it should pick up the other OS's and add them to the grub menu for you. After this they should all be bootable.

Note: I do not use encryption on personal machines and so this might cause issues when booting with encryption, but there is only one way to find that out.
Dai_trying

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-04-24 14:44

FOSS-15-Great wrote:It seems that, upon finishing the install on my M.2 drive the Debian installer made changes to the bootloader resulting in the above scenario.

So why did you let the installer change the bootloader? And did you not think there would be a problem when it only mentioned Windows in the found operating systems list?
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby Dai_trying » 2020-04-24 15:14

I would guess OP missed the grub installation path setting during installation, a mistake I have made in the past. And one I always check now :)
Dai_trying

Postby FOSS-15-Great » 2020-04-27 18:42

Dai_trying wrote:I would guess OP missed the grub installation path setting during installation, a mistake I have made in the past. And one I always check now :)

That is exactly what happened. It was difficult enough to get through the initial install (mainly because it was a new way of doing things for me) because I wanted to get an LVM on the second drive.
FOSS-15-Great

Return to Beginners Questions