Debian VS Ubuntu

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Debian VS Ubuntu

Postby debergerac » 2020-05-01 08:18

Hi,
which differences between Debian and Ubuntu?
thanks
debergerac

Re: Debian VS Ubuntu

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-05-01 09:09

Debian rules and Ubuntu drools :mrgreen:
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby Hallvor » 2020-05-01 10:33

How about a little search?
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=differences+u ... fab&ia=web

The main difference is the release schedule: Ubuntu has more recent software and less stability. Debian has older and better tested software.

If you are familiar with guns, Ubuntu is like a Hi-Point, while Debian is like a well made 1911. :wink:
Lenovo ThinkPad T440S, Intel Core i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, Debian Buster (KDE)
Lenovo ThinkPad X240, Intel Core i5-4300U CPU @ 2.90GHz, 8 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD, Debian Buster (KDE)
Hallvor

Postby arochester » 2020-05-01 11:37

Try both online at https://distrotest.net/
arochester

Postby morse_the_horse » 2020-05-04 16:50

I have both. Two Debian and one Ubuntu. Ubuntu is controlled by a private company. They include a lot of junkware from their "partners". While I do not specifically know they steal information from you to use for advertising or other purposes, it sure seems that way based on what I have seen on my Ubuntu system.

My first system was Ubuntu but I have installed numerous Debians both for myself as well as for others wanting a Linux system instead of Windoze. When the version of Ubuntu goes out of support, I'll likely make the effort to convert it.

My favorite is Debian with gnome and cinnamon for its simplicity with useful features and ease of setting up desktop launchers. Not sure I really like the gnome because of its complexity but it does have some nice features but thank goodness, Cinnamon makes it worthwhile.

On the other hand, I have found better help with Ubuntu's forum. That forum has a lot less snarkiness and is more controlled (also more controlling about what is posted). Humor is not appreciated there and senior people can and will edit your posts.

Need handholding? Go with Ubuntu.

Want privacy? Use Debian.

Just one 35 year Unix user/admin/support person but only 10 with Linux and no longer the extensive internals knowledge I used to have.
morse_the_horse

Postby NFT5 » 2020-05-04 21:27

morse_the_horse wrote:They include a lot of junkware from their "partners".

Examples?

morse_the_horse wrote:My favorite is Debian with gnome and cinnamon

Gnome and Cinnamon?

morse_the_horse wrote:Want privacy? Use Debian.

Sure. But the privacy issues with Ubuntu were some time ago and Canonical went to some trouble to assure users that these parts of the package had been removed and I'm not aware of any current issues. If you'd like to correct my thinking, and probably that of many others, then I'm sure that I would be open to be convinced by solid evidence.
NFT5

Postby morse_the_horse » 2020-05-06 17:01

morse_the_horse wrote:They include a lot of junkware from their "partners".

NFT5 wrote:Examples?

There was stuff for Amazon and a lot of other private companies. I spent a lot of time getting rid of that junk.

morse_the_horse wrote:My favorite is Debian with gnome and cinnamon

NFT5 wrote:Gnome and Cinnamon?

Your point?

morse_the_horse wrote:Want privacy? Use Debian.

NFT5 wrote:Sure. But the privacy issues with Ubuntu were some time ago and Canonical went to some trouble to assure users that these parts of the package had been removed and I'm not aware of any current issues. If you'd like to correct my thinking, and probably that of many others, then I'm sure that I would be open to be convinced by solid evidence.

Well, if you claim all that stuff was removed, I can't dispute it. I think you are acknowledging that it existed. You are now claiming it is all gone. Your evidence? My experience when I installed it was that it was there. I can't prove that it is not still there as I have not installed a system since then that has Ubuntu.

I spent a lot of years doing Unix computer security and privacy for a major computer manufacturer, starting in 1985 and I continue on my machines to practice that same thing since I retired.

And while Canonical asks you when installing about collecting "basic information", it would not be clear to most people what that means. And, yes, Canonical has released "SOME" [my emphasis] of the data it collects, the default IMHO should be to not collect it and if someone doesn't realize all the nuances, they should be periodically reminded they can opt out of it. The first thought a user might have when "reporting" a system problem by clicking on the error message is that it will be used to create a fix for them not that it may be used to collect statistics about what they are doing. But that is not clear to the user.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion as much as I to mine since both our postings are opinion.

The OP can make his own choice about what to do based on his research of other opinions as suggested by Halivor and by reading about different opinions as expressed in this forum.
morse_the_horse

Postby cuckooflew » 2020-05-06 21:45

debergerac wrote:Hi,
which differences between Debian and Ubuntu?
thanks

Oh no, not again, please , give me a break :mrgreen:
Title slightly different , but same theme,
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=145410&p=716296&hilit=Debian+VS+Ubuntu#p716296
and I know I have seen the same posted before, besides this....every so often some @@@@@@@ just has to ask,....Please do a search before asking, there is plenty of documentation that will explain the differences,...In a nut shell, like H_O_A_S said:

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-05-01 09:09
Debian rules and Ubuntu drools
Please Read.. What we expect you have already Done.
Does any one know about this ?