Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing packages to Netinst from CD1

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
pata

Installing packages to Netinst from CD1

#1 Post by pata »

Netinst is installed, but the network is not working. So I have to install some stuff offline.

How do I add the package index from CD1 to Netinst?

How do I get APT to get packages from the CD instead of the net?

Also, what happened to the 'man' command in Netinst 10?

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

Re: Installing packages to Netinst from CD1

#2 Post by arochester »

What do you mean by
the network is not working.
?

Is the Ethernet working? (By cable? )

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

pata wrote:what happened to the 'man' command in Netinst 10?
If you used a netinstall ISO image but you didn't have a connection[1] then you will have a *very* minimal system indeed.
pata wrote:How do I get APT to get packages from the CD instead of the net?
See apt-cdrom(8).

[1] Hint: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=142808
deadbang

cuckooflew

#4 Post by cuckooflew »

I don't understand why someone would use the netinstall image if they do not have a internet connection,
My suggestion is that the OP read some of the documentation before deciding which CD/DVD image to use. Netinstall , does not mean a network is included, "the network does not work", a netwrok is something you have to setup, "netinstall", means most of the installation of Debian is done via a internet or local network,
pata wrote:
what happened to the 'man' command in Netinst 10?
When I installed with the netinstall,I did get all the essential files,including the man command, what happened to yours ? I don't know, I don't think you completed the install correctly.
pata wrote:
How do I get APT to get packages from the CD instead of the net?
The netinstall image, will not give you a CD with any packages, so unless you have another CD, one with some packages, it is pointless to try that, if you can download another image, it would be to your advantage to down load and install using a CD/DVD that includes some packages as well. There is no reason to go into detail here, there is plenty of good documentation , but you need to read it, after that if you still have questions of course feel welcome to ask, but please do try reading some documentation first, it will save you a lot of trouble and heartache.
https://www.debian.org/CD/faq/
========================
https://www.debian.org/distrib/
PLEASE Read:
A small installation image: can be downloaded quickly and should be recorded onto a removable disk. To use this, you will need a machine with an Internet connection.
The above is the netinstall image, If you do not have a machine with a internet connection,DO NOT try to use this image. Pay attention to what you read. The documentation is available in many languages, use your native language when reading it.
A larger complete installation image: contains more packages, making it easier to install machines without an Internet connection.
This is probably what you should be using. it is a complete installation image, but you do need to get a internet connection some where to download it, eg:internet cafe if need be. Since you can post here,I assume youmust have something or somewhere ,that gives you a internet connection.
There is still more documentation you should read, before doing anything, I am not going to copy paste it all here, you need to read it.
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstall#C ... tion_Media
If you have no way of establishing a network connection during the installation, then you will need to install using full installation CDs or DVDs.
There is even more, a simple search, using keywords:

Code: Select all

which Debian image should I use
Will be enlightening.
So any way, guess that is about it, this kind of question comes from people that do not read any documentation, if you plan to use Debian, I suggest you start learning how to read the documenation, and read it carefully, also since Debian is such a popular distro, learning how to do a search and find the documentation is essential.
The link below, is some more, essential documentation:
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstall
Again, it says the same:
If you have no way of establishing a network connection during the installation, then you will need to install using full installation CDs or DVDs.
:
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!