Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian VM Sound problem

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
gavroche

Debian VM Sound problem

#1 Post by gavroche »

Hi there,
I'm running debian on a vm for a project, and I got a sound issue. When I am playing a sound (with aplay or with the graphical music player), what comes out of the speaker is bearly recognizable. I've tried to mess with the alsamixer and nothing worked. I've tried to use sox as a player, didn't work either. I've tried to edit the VM config, add more processors, more cores, more ram, tried different things with the soundcard settings. Nothing worked.
Any idea why it doesn't work? Any idea on how to fix it?
Many thanks §

Dai_trying

Re: Debian VM Sound problem

#2 Post by Dai_trying »

I would guess (as you don't give much information on what you are actually trying to play) that you are trying to play an mp3 file? This has been problematic for me in the past and I found mpg123 to be more suitable (ootb) for this,
It could also be down to needing some additional parameters which are listed in

Code: Select all

man aplay

gavroche

#3 Post by gavroche »

I'm willing to play an mp3 file indeed. What's weird is that it seems to happen no matter the mp3 player I use....
I don't understand what's usefull in the aplay manual.
Here is a recording of the sound coming out of the computer (using mpg123)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/19JFHJX ... p=drivesdk

Dai_trying

#4 Post by Dai_trying »

Have you tried a known working mp3 file? Is it possible for you to have a corrupt file as I have not had mpg123 fail to play before.

gavroche

#5 Post by gavroche »

Yes I have. I even tried to change the mp3 file, but it doesn't work...

Dai_trying

#6 Post by Dai_trying »

I haven't come across this particular situation before so not sure what to advise, I would imagine somebody with better knowledge of audio issues would be best to advise on this.

One thing you could post to help would be your sources.list, I'm wondering if there is a problem with a package mismatch somewhere.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#7 Post by CwF »

I have seen this, can't pin it down. I have had vm's loose sync and stutter after playing fine. Also have had certain programs do it worse than others. This is an issue that can be affected by hyperthreading. It is best to do the opposite of what you did, more won't help - likely less will! revamp it to 1 cpu and above 1G memory doesn't matter much unless the vm really is a pig. I see this more on lower clock machines. What emulated sound card are you using and how does it report in the guest?

Try using mpv and starting from a terminal may give useful info.