Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

/ holds a /home incorrectly. sudo su not working

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
JeSuisFlaneur

/ holds a /home incorrectly. sudo su not working

#1 Post by JeSuisFlaneur »

/ holds /home although there is a /home in the tree.

I tried to shift-del the / directory called home. I have insufficient permissions.

I tried the extra password for sudo su and sudo su - and neither take me to

root@lexington:

How can I remove the /home from root?

RU55EL

Re: / holds a /home incorrectly. sudo su not working

#2 Post by RU55EL »

JeSuisFlaneur wrote:/ holds /home although there is a /home in the tree.
"/home" is normally a sub-directory of the root directory "/".
JeSuisFlaneur wrote:I tried to shift-del the / directory called home. I have insufficient permissions.
I'm sorry, I don't understand this. What is shift-del the / directory called home? My first guess is that you were trying to delete the /home directory. Is that correct? If so, why?
JeSuisFlaneur wrote:I tried the extra password for sudo su and sudo su - and neither take me to

root@lexington:
Extra password? When using sudo, you normally use your standard user password. Did you set up a root password when you installed Debian? Can you log in as root?
JeSuisFlaneur wrote:How can I remove the /home from root?
Why do you want to do this? "Home" is kind of important.

cuckooflew

#3 Post by cuckooflew »

I think the OP needs to re-think the question,and try to ask it better, as it is it does not make any sense to me either.
"sudo su ", what is that supposed to do ?
Then :
JeSuisFlaneur wrote:
I tried to shift-del the / directory called home. I have insufficient permissions.
I don't know what you mean here, but I suspect it is a good thing you do not have permission.
JeSuisFlaneur wrote:
I tried the extra password for sudo su and sudo su - and neither take me to

root@lexington:
Let's start here, To start with ,...you do not use : "sudo su" , that is just silly,... you can login as root, or get root privileges by using :

Code: Select all

$su -
$ password: (enter the root password)
# 
If you have the # , that means you are root , but you can make sure by using the 'whoami' command, type :

#whoami
#root 
it should say root, or root@thishost,... something to that extent.
The other method, using "sudo",

$sudo <followed by the command you want>
And you will be prompted for your password. Type it in.
I can not say what the command should be, since it is not clear what you are trying to do.
JeSuisFlaneur wrote:
The /home directory probably has some sub directories, at least 1 user (you) , and possibly others, Are you really sure you want to do that ? If so , see these:

$man rm
Or 
man rmdir
If you know how to write a path correctly, and use the "code boxes". maybe , please show us exactly what directory you want to delete or remove, and the complete path to it,.
EG:

/home/joe 
I want to remove the joe directory,or I want to remove the /home, and all the subdirectories,...
On my Debian 10 system there is no home directory, in the /root directory, and they /home directory has several subdirectories, eg:
/home/cuckoo, /home/papaparrot, /home/andrea, /home/sylvia , There are more users, each one has a directory, to remove the /home directory recursively would remove all those users as well, ...so you see, you really need to clarify about this, ...good luck
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

cuckooflew

#4 Post by cuckooflew »

This might be of interest to the OP, but please DO NOT run any of the commands they show, ask us here first.
https://superuser.com/questions/542978/ ... -directory
Yes it is possible, but probably you do not really want to.
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and

reinob

#5 Post by reinob »

cuckooflew wrote:This might be of interest to the OP, but please DO NOT run any of the commands they show, ask us here first.
https://superuser.com/questions/542978/ ... -directory
Yes it is possible, but probably you do not really want to.
I think he just wants to delete the (empty) /home at /. His real /home is in another partition and mounted at root's /home.

However, deleting the mount point will effectively prevent you from mounting the actual /home, so it's kinda like shooting yourself in the foot.

What you *might* want to be attempting is to clean-up the /home in the root partition, i.e. files which may have been stored there before the actual /home was mounted over it.

You can do that easily by bind-mounting / somewhere else, so you have a clear "view" of the actual /.

cuckooflew

#6 Post by cuckooflew »

I think he just wants to delete the (empty) /home at /. His real /home is in another partition and mounted at root's /home.
That MIGHT be what they want to do as well, but this is the problem, the OP just is not at all clear about what they want to do and why. I think it may be a language problem , maybe if they tell us what language , we can direct them to a mail list in thier own language, it would make it easier for them.
Thanks, ahh, in any event, the 'man rm' or 'man rmdir' does explain how to remove a empty directory as well as directories that have sub directories.
and