No gnome download option, can't add later?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

No gnome download option, can't add later?

Postby bulletbolt » 2020-06-13 08:42

Hi all,

So this is my first experience with Debian and been struggling for a few days already.

Firstly, I have downloaded full package from Debian.org but the only option I see is "debian-10.4.0-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso" which comes with XFCE desktop. I do not see the GNOME option.

I proceeded and installed the option that is available, tried to add GNOME by using command "apt-get install task-gnome-desktop" (which I found within GNOME cat in wiki.debian.org) but it returns error that such package not available/obsolete. I did this while using root user so all permissions ON.

Please help me to switch to GNOME :)
bulletbolt

Re: No gnome download option, can't add later?

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-06-13 11:14

bulletbolt wrote:tried to add GNOME by using command "apt-get install task-gnome-desktop" (which I found within GNOME cat in wiki.debian.org) but it returns error that such package not available/obsolete.

You should post the full, exact error message rather than a vague description. I'm guessing that you didn't select a mirror during the installation process so APT is looking for packages on the CD-ROM.

To install the GNOME desktop during installation use the netinstall ISO image and select it in the tasksel section.

EDIT: or download one of the "live" GNOME images, here's a link to the non-free versions:

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unoff ... so-hybrid/
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
Head_on_a_Stick

Return to Beginners Questions