Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Upgrading to new kernel without space

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Upgrading to new kernel without space

#21 Post by p.H »

dbip wrote:From what I understand lib can't be moved (only mapped)
What do you mean by "mapped" ?
Since Buster, /lib can be symlinked to /usr/lib as part of /usr merge. Merging /lib into /usr/lib may cause file conflicts in previous versions.
However I guess you could symlink /lib/modules to /usr/lib/modules as a temporary workaround.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#22 Post by CwF »

I have no experienced advice for this. A simple answer is to expand / or relocate /lib. That path is not something I've ever needed to do. With my resources I'd image it and try some solutions virtually. I think I'd first try and steal some /usr space for root. I'd use another machine to manipulate the disk. Doing in within the OS, well I'd wait for some other answers. I stopped using partitions within a device space long ago, in the rare case a device/partition needs more space, I do what I said on a second machine, image it to a bigger disk and expand it to fill, done.

If your sda1 and sda5 are contiguous then that's the first try - reduce sda5 and give it to sda1. That would be straight forward for Gparted, maybe live but I would do it on another machine.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#23 Post by CwF »

Ya know, it is remotely possible to remove the working kernel, upgrade/install a new one in a single session. I want to say I tried that many years back and can't really remember the outcome. But I do remember for sure that removing the working kernel will prompt a few times if you're sure and it will continue to run the current session. If anything at all happens before the new one is installed you're hosed...