Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

USB install

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
RogerJCooke

USB install

#1 Post by RogerJCooke »

I have a Toshiba netbook which which I would like to remove Windows and install Linux Debian. I have a USB install of Debian, but in the bios there is no option to boot from a USB stick, only HDdrive or FFD? Can anyone help a beginner.

LE_746F6D617A7A69

Re: USB install

#2 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

Please post the netbook type/model -> it's needed, if You want somebody to find the necessary information for You ;)
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

cuckooflew

Re: USB install

#3 Post by cuckooflew »

Maybe, this:
Try to change the setting in the BIOS. Enter into the BIOS and change "advanced- system configuration -boot mode" to CSM. After this change, you could boot from USB.
How ever it was a 5 year ago situation, and as all ready mentioned, we do not know what model you have or anything.
There actually are several results on this when I did a search for you. You might have tried them, but if you have not, try using these keywords:

Code: Select all

Boot with USB device on a Toshiba netbook 
copy/paste into a search engine, you will see several results , including some youtube videos.
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!