Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Irregular error message [drm:intel_dp_aux_xfer [i915]]

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Alcher

Irregular error message [drm:intel_dp_aux_xfer [i915]]

#1 Post by Alcher »

Hi everyone,

when I turn on my PC with Debian 10 (+KDE) installed on it (double boot with Windows 10), there is sometimes an error message at the very top of the messages displayed on the screen, after having selected "Debian" with Grub.
To get the message, I tried # dmesg and got that result:
[ 1.177880] [drm:intel_dp_aux_xfer [i915]] *ERROR* dp aux hw did not signal timeout!

I sometimes get this message, and sometimes not. Whether I receive it or does not seem to have any consequence on my Debian experience; maybe because I do easy stuff only with Debian.
So, these are not the consequences of the error that bother me, but the existence of the error itself.

Thanks to Google, I did find out some pages looking similar to my issue. However, I have not been able to understand anything at all from them.
Thus this question in the "beginners" forum... :oops:

If anyone could help me, I would greatly appreciate that.
Thanks,

Alcher

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Irregular error message [drm:intel_dp_aux_xfer [i915]]

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Does your HDMI connection work?

Looks like the error message is inconsequential and can be safely ignored: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/intel/-/issues/77
deadbang

Alcher

#3 Post by Alcher »

Hi Head_on_a_Stick,

thanks for your answer.
I don't have any HDMI product. I will get one soon and give it a try. I'll let you know.

Alcher

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Alcher wrote:I don't have any HDMI product. I will get one soon and give it a try.
Well if you're not using HDMI then it really doesn't matter if it's broken. No need to rush out and buy stuff unnecessarily.
deadbang

Alcher

#5 Post by Alcher »

You are definitely right: I was not considering buying this kind of stuff at all.
I just asked colleagues of mine to lend me an HDMI hardware. However, they only have big screens, and I am not going to ask for them at all: not very easy to move around.
Anyway, thanks again for your help.