Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Adding PPA?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
cuckooflew

Re: Adding PPA?

#16 Post by cuckooflew »

Show us some screen shots if you get it working, here is one, not using Xfce here, but any way , the "tint2" panel:Image

I agree, nothing wrong with making it look like what ever someone wants, but if installing a program causes problems and does not work well, then I don't see how it would be more productive.
Of course if the program works well, then it could be more productive, The themes and looks do not make a system more productive though, and un-needed programs mostly just fill disk space, they serve no real purpose. From what I have read, this "dockbarx" does not really do anything new, or that can't be done with other task bars and a good window manager, ....any way after all said and done, the main point, DO NOT install it using Ubuntu ppa's, do some research, or wait and see how to install it properly , so that it does work on Debian with XFCE,..or what ever environment ...I might try it myself, on a VM with Debian 10, and fluxbox,...just to see
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

kedaha

#17 Post by kedaha »

To continue from my last post, I can confirm that it works at least on my stable Buster mate-desktop as per the instructions to install it manually, i.e., not using the PPA.To use it in Xfce would involve a lttle additional stuff and I haven't got the helpers because:
To use DockManager helpers, you need to install dockmanager and dockmanager-daemon as well as libdesktop-agnostic-cfg-gconf and libdesktop-agnostic-vfs-gio. The last two might not need to be installed separately on distributions that aren't Debian based.

It would of course be much better to convert it into a regular Debian package rather than install it with the setup.py install.
I haven't looked at converting the PPA yet but I'd venture to say that the question of installing it properly in stable looks possible one way or another.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

stevepusser

#18 Post by stevepusser »

It's in the MX Linux repository...

http://mxrepo.com/mx/repo/pool/main/d/dockbarx/
MX Linux packager and developer

kedaha

#19 Post by kedaha »

stevepusser wrote:It's in the MX Linux repository...

http://mxrepo.com/mx/repo/pool/main/d/dockbarx/
Thanks stevepusser for that. Thanks also to emil_21 for the topic; otherwise I might not have come across it. It's good.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

stevepusser

#20 Post by stevepusser »

I ported over the newer dockbarx from git for the MX test repo just now, and also in an OBS repo (not a PPA, but like one that supports Debian): https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... x/dockbarx
MX Linux packager and developer