Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Started GNOME Display Manager || Stuck

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
arianpranav

Started GNOME Display Manager || Stuck

#1 Post by arianpranav »

My Dell Inspiron with 10th Generation Intel Core i3-10100 with1 TB HDD and 256 GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD is stuck at : Started GNOME Display Manager, after Debian net install. Earlier there were disk listing issues while installation which have bee fixed by changing the RAID to AHCI via BIOS settings. Wireless is Intel 3165 for which i am yet to find the driver, i hope with update after sudo apt-add-repository non-free i would get this sorted.

Please guide how can i debug and fix UI not coming up issue. The machine is dual boot with windows working fine via SSD and Debian is installed in a partition over HDD. Some blogs says wayland is issue, few suggest 1TB HDD is not supported so i am not sure how to proceed. The graphics is default : Intel UHD Graphics 630. Can this be fixed with install and re-install of xdm vs lightdm ?

TIA

eriefisher

Re: Started GNOME Display Manager || Stuck

#2 Post by eriefisher »

If you switch tty (ctl-alt-F7) is the login there?

Have you checked any logs?
Xfce4 4.14

arianpranav

#3 Post by arianpranav »

eriefisher wrote:If you switch tty (ctl-alt-F7) is the login there?
Have you checked any logs?
Yes i am able to SSH from other PC and also in recovery mode i am able to login and update packages.
I am new to Debian so not sure where i should check which logs. Dmesg i would share shortly.

I did some Google searching and tried disabling/re-enabling different services, replacing gdm3 with lightdm also did not helped.

Deb-fan

#4 Post by Deb-fan »

Step 1. Install Mx gnu/linux.
Step 2. Stalk Stevepussers posts here and believe he's Stevo on the Mx forum and if necessary pester him/others about properly setting up AHS = (advanced hardware support.) in Mx.

Gnu/linux runs the overwhelming majority of the worlds super computers, internet backbone + other notable stuff. So never fear, with all these talented geeks diligently working on things, someday surely, they will be able to overcome this 1tb HDD hurdle. There's hope! :)
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

arianpranav

#5 Post by arianpranav »

Do anybody know what should be BIOS settings for following :

1. HDD Security :
Sed Block SID Authentication (enable/disable)
PPI Bypass for SED Block SID Command (enable/disable)

2. SMM Security Mitigation (enable/disable)

3. Secure Boot :
Secure Boot (enable/disable)
Secure boot Mode ( Deployed / Audit mode)
Expert Key Management , Enable custom mode (enable/disable)

4 Sata Operation
I have chosen AHCI as on RAID the Debian installer is unable to recognize the drives.

I am stuck with Grub minimal install, have repaired and reloaded windows fresh and done bootrec /fixmbr repair too. However bootrec /fixboot i am getting access denied.

I was able to setup Debian on my other desktop with Windows on SSD earlier and is still working fine. This new hardware are making my life miserable to load the OS :(

arianpranav

#6 Post by arianpranav »

All installation issues are resolved and moved into further debugging the issue : Started Gnome MAnager [STUCK]

Appears the VGA Intel 630 is the culprit and is not supported : VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 9bc8 (rev 03).

Further below hardware appears quite new to be supported even by kernel 4.19 , it requires 4.20 :( :

System: Host: debian-server Kernel: 4.19.0-9-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 Console: tty 0
Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
Machine: Type: Desktop System: Dell product: Inspiron 3880 v: N/A
Mobo: Dell model: 05GD68 v: A00 UEFI: Dell v: 1.2.0 date: 06/09/2020
CPU: Quad Core: Intel Core i3-10100 type: MT MCP speed: 800 MHz min/max: 800/4300 MHz
Graphics: Device-1: Intel driver: N/A
Display: tty server: X.org 1.20.4
driver: amdgpu,ati,fbdev,intel,modesetting,nouveau,radeon,vesa,vmware tty: 116x36
Message: Advanced graphics data unavailable in console for root.
Network: Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet driver: r8169
Device-2: Intel Wireless 3165 driver: N/A
Drives: Local Storage: total: 1.14 TiB used: 7.88 GiB (0.7%)
Info: Processes: 147 Uptime: 25m Memory: 7.54 GiB used: 313.6 MiB (4.1%) Init: systemd runlevel: 5
Shell: bash inxi: 3.0.32

Appears i should try ubuntu now to get rid if the issues.

Head_on_a_Stick

#7 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

You could try the newer kernel from buster-backports (see my [FAQ] in the HowTo section for details) and also install the firmware-misc-nonfree .deb package from sid (but don't add the repositories). That might work.

Otherwise wait for the 11.0 release next year. Or run one of the development branches if you enjoy fixing random breakage and helping develop the next release.
deadbang

arianpranav

#8 Post by arianpranav »

Thanks for the guidance.

I tried non free alternate drivers install for Wifi and they worked fine, however with VGA Intel 630 i had no success so no UI is being rendered and i am still stuck.

In order to move further i tried Ubuntu 20.4 LTS which worked seamlessly and cleared that hardware / configs do not have any issue with Linux. I would give another attempt to my Debian love once newer version with more hardware support is floated in next stable release.

Head_on_a_Stick

#9 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

arianpranav wrote:with VGA Intel 630 i had no success so no UI is being rendered
I wrote:install the firmware-misc-nonfree .deb package from sid
deadbang

arianpranav

#10 Post by arianpranav »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
arianpranav wrote:with VGA Intel 630 i had no success so no UI is being rendered
I wrote:install the firmware-misc-nonfree .deb package from sid
Does that mean other H/W listed above will be supported by even by kernel 4.19 and i do not need 4.20 if i use above Sid nonfree firmware package ? It appears to be unstable package, would it run fine or break often, any idea ?

Appreciate your help....

Thanks,

Head_on_a_Stick

#11 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

arianpranav wrote:Does that mean other H/W listed above will be supported by even by kernel 4.19 and i do not need 4.20 if i use above Sid nonfree firmware package ?
No. The kernel provides the driver and that is needed as well as the firmware.
arianpranav wrote:It appears to be unstable package, would it run fine or break often, any idea ?
The term "unstable" in Debian refers to the package version flux, it is not a synonym for "unreliable".

If you install the .deb then it will never be updated (unless you upgrade to Debian 11 and that contains a newer package version).
deadbang

arianpranav

#12 Post by arianpranav »

Thanks for clearing the understanding and the doubts.

centguy

#13 Post by centguy »

Question: Sorry, I do not get all
answer above.

Is Debian 10 able to boot up a computer Intel UHD 930 graphic card?

My booting process stuck right
after
GNOME Display Manager.

Or should ditch Debian 10 complete and go straight to
Debian 11?

sgosnell

#14 Post by sgosnell »

Debian 10 will work, if you install a newer kernel. The safest way to do this is to add Buster backports to your sources.list, run apt update, then install the 5.7 kernel from backports along with the associated firmware. Add this line to /etc/apt/sources.list

Code: Select all

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ buster-backports main non-free contrib  
then run

apt update
as root. Then use apt to install

linux-image-5.7.0-0.bpo.2-amd64
firmware-linux
firmware-linux-free
firmware-linux-nonfree
firmware-misc-nonfree
xserver-xorg-video-intel
intel-microcode
amd64-microcode
from the backports repository. This can be done from the command line in a terminal, which you can reach by entering ctrl-alt-F2 (or any other function key below F7, which returns you to the x environment). After the installation, reboot, and you should get the Gnome desktop. My condolences for choosing that, but it's your choice.
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Post by sunrat »

sgosnell wrote: Then use apt to install

linux-image-5.7.0-0.bpo.2-amd64
firmware-linux
firmware-linux-free
firmware-linux-nonfree
firmware-misc-nonfree
xserver-xorg-video-intel
intel-microcode
amd64-microcode
firmware-linux is a metapackage that depends on firmware-linux-free, firmware-linux-nonfree, and firmware-misc-nonfree so no need to install all of them like that. It also recommends intel-microcode and amd64-microcode so they will be pulled in too just by installing firmware-linux in a default Debian. Also backports needs to be targeted specifically or those packages listed apart from the kernel will come from main instead.
Better to do it like this:

apt install -t buster-backports linux-image-amd64 firmware-linux
Edited to include only packages in backports. Others should be installed already by default or as recommends when installing advised packages.
Last edited by sunrat on 2020-10-03 12:39, edited 1 time in total.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Head_on_a_Stick

#16 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

There is no backported Intel DDX driver (xserver-xorg-video-intel), nor are there backports of the µcode packages. And be sure to install the kernel metapackage (as detailed in sunrat's post above) rather than a specific kernel version that will quickly become outdated.
deadbang

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#17 Post by sunrat »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:There is no backported Intel DDX driver (xserver-xorg-video-intel), nor are there backports of the µcode packages. And be sure to install the kernel metapackage (as detailed in sunrat's post above) rather than a specific kernel version that will quickly become outdated.
Aah,yes. Edited my post to remove xserver-xorg-video-intel.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!