How to save this Flash drive?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Re: How to save this Flash drive?

Postby cuckooflew » 2020-09-02 19:33

That is kind of amazing, but possible,....
but I have often found that the easiest way to rehabilitate a flash drive is to stick it into a Windows machine and do a quick format.

If you have a windows machine handy, yes that would be a easy way, Freedos, as well, I use that, and it is a simple command/process:
Code: Select all
format d: [options]

For the options: http://wiki.freedos.org/wiki/index.php/Format
I keep a "Live"bootable usb stick handy, it has Freedos on it, that is what is booted. also some Unix , linux , and BSD utilities on it as well.
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!
cuckooflew

Re: How to save this Flash drive?

Postby pcalvert » 2020-09-06 07:30

I just thought about how you may be able to recover the data (or some of it) from that flash drive.

First of all, make sure that your system is configured to NOT mount removable drives when they are inserted.

Here are the steps:

1. Create a working directory:
mkdir sdc1_recovery

2. Change to the recovery directory:
cd sdc1_recovery

3. Insert the flash drive.

4. Start recovery using ddrescue:
sudo ddrescue -n -v -T 30 --min-read-rate=50k /dev/sdc1 sdc1-image sdc1-recovery-log

The drive will probably disconnect again. That's fine. Remove the flash drive and try again tomorrow, starting at step 2. If you don't want to wait until tomorrow, wait at least an hour before trying again. Keep repeating the process until as much of the data is recovered as possible.

Note: Do NOT delete any of the files in the recovery directory. Ddrescue will continue where it left off. Also, do not omit the recovery log file; it is essential.

You may need to follow that up with a different ddrescue command, depending on how successful you are at recovering the data. Please keep us updated regarding your progress.

Phil
“Property is the fruit of labor; property is desirable; it is a positive good
in the world. That some should be rich shows that others may become
rich, and hence is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.”
— Abraham Lincoln
pcalvert

Previous

Return to Beginners Questions