Encrypt entire disk whit data

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Encrypt entire disk whit data

Postby WhyDub » 2020-08-09 21:04

Hi,

is there a way to encrypt an entire disk partition whit all its data like it can be done whit bit-locker in Windows ? Or if not, suppose that i have an image of my disk partition in question saved in an external hard drive, if I format the partition im talking about whit luks, after that, can i restore the image in the now encrypted same partition ? or if doing so will erase the encrypted partition in order to restore the image??

thanks.
WhyDub

Re: Encrypt entire disk whit data

Postby p.H » 2020-08-10 11:50

WhyDub wrote:is there a way to encrypt an entire disk partition whit all its data like it can be done whit bit-locker in Windows ?

None I am aware of.

WhyDub wrote:if I format the partition im talking about whit luks, after that, can i restore the image in the now encrypted same partition ?

Not without truncating it. The encrypted volume is smaller than the partition by a few megabytes because of the LUKS header. Or you have to use a detached (separated) LUKS header, which obviously has issues (the detached header has to be stored somewhere else, and its UUID cannot be used to identify the encrypted partition).
p.H

Postby dilberts_left_nut » 2020-08-10 12:32

If you can mount your "backup image" you can copy the files back to the new encrypted filesystem.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...
dilberts_left_nut

Postby WhyDub » 2020-08-10 20:52

So really if I want my disk to be encrypted, i have, in other words, to reinstall the operating system and its data (fresh install) after the encryption of the disk is done. That's right isn't it ?

Or, if I trunk my actual partition to be the size of the future encrypted partition and there I backup-image this partition, can I restore it on the new same sized but now encrypted partition without loosing the encryption ?

Thanks
WhyDub

Postby pylkko » 2020-08-11 14:56

Unless, I missed your point somehow, I believe VeraCrypt can "encrypt an entire partition and the data".
pylkko

Postby p.H » 2020-08-12 11:31

WhyDub wrote:So really if I want my disk to be encrypted, i have, in other words, to reinstall the operating system and its data (fresh install) after the encryption of the disk is done. That's right isn't it ?

Not exactly. The Debian installer cannot use an existing encrypted partition, it must be created during the installation process.

WhyDub wrote:Or, if I trunk my actual partition to be the size of the future encrypted partition and there I backup-image this partition, can I restore it on the new same sized but now encrypted partition without loosing the encryption ?

You must distinguish between a system partition (/ or /usr) and a data partition.
For a data partition, you do not have to reinstall the system. You can install cryptsetup-bin, encrypt the partition, restore the shrunk image on the encrypted volume and update /etc/crypttab and /etc/fstab.
For a system partition, this is not that simple.
- In its default configuration, GRUB cannot handle an encrypted /boot, so /boot must be in a separate unencrypted partition (and GRUB must be reinstalled if the /boot partition was not already used)
- cryptsetup must be installed
- crypttab, fstab and grub.cfg must be updated and the initramfs must be rebuilt in a chroot

So in most cases it is probably easier to reinstall the system with encryption.
p.H

Postby WhyDub » 2020-08-13 13:48

OK I understand that there is no easy solution for my case... I will leave it there for the moment, until i have figure it out. thanks
WhyDub

Return to Beginners Questions