Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Encrypt entire disk whit data

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
WhyDub

Encrypt entire disk whit data

#1 Post by WhyDub »

Hi,

is there a way to encrypt an entire disk partition whit all its data like it can be done whit bit-locker in Windows ? Or if not, suppose that i have an image of my disk partition in question saved in an external hard drive, if I format the partition im talking about whit luks, after that, can i restore the image in the now encrypted same partition ? or if doing so will erase the encrypted partition in order to restore the image??

thanks.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Encrypt entire disk whit data

#2 Post by p.H »

WhyDub wrote:is there a way to encrypt an entire disk partition whit all its data like it can be done whit bit-locker in Windows ?
None I am aware of.
WhyDub wrote:if I format the partition im talking about whit luks, after that, can i restore the image in the now encrypted same partition ?
Not without truncating it. The encrypted volume is smaller than the partition by a few megabytes because of the LUKS header. Or you have to use a detached (separated) LUKS header, which obviously has issues (the detached header has to be stored somewhere else, and its UUID cannot be used to identify the encrypted partition).

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

If you can mount your "backup image" you can copy the files back to the new encrypted filesystem.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

WhyDub

#4 Post by WhyDub »

So really if I want my disk to be encrypted, i have, in other words, to reinstall the operating system and its data (fresh install) after the encryption of the disk is done. That's right isn't it ?

Or, if I trunk my actual partition to be the size of the future encrypted partition and there I backup-image this partition, can I restore it on the new same sized but now encrypted partition without loosing the encryption ?

Thanks

pylkko

#5 Post by pylkko »

Unless, I missed your point somehow, I believe VeraCrypt can "encrypt an entire partition and the data".

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by p.H »

WhyDub wrote:So really if I want my disk to be encrypted, i have, in other words, to reinstall the operating system and its data (fresh install) after the encryption of the disk is done. That's right isn't it ?
Not exactly. The Debian installer cannot use an existing encrypted partition, it must be created during the installation process.
WhyDub wrote:Or, if I trunk my actual partition to be the size of the future encrypted partition and there I backup-image this partition, can I restore it on the new same sized but now encrypted partition without loosing the encryption ?
You must distinguish between a system partition (/ or /usr) and a data partition.
For a data partition, you do not have to reinstall the system. You can install cryptsetup-bin, encrypt the partition, restore the shrunk image on the encrypted volume and update /etc/crypttab and /etc/fstab.
For a system partition, this is not that simple.
- In its default configuration, GRUB cannot handle an encrypted /boot, so /boot must be in a separate unencrypted partition (and GRUB must be reinstalled if the /boot partition was not already used)
- cryptsetup must be installed
- crypttab, fstab and grub.cfg must be updated and the initramfs must be rebuilt in a chroot

So in most cases it is probably easier to reinstall the system with encryption.

WhyDub

#7 Post by WhyDub »

OK I understand that there is no easy solution for my case... I will leave it there for the moment, until i have figure it out. thanks

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#8 Post by cds60601 »

If encrypting only your home dir is the goal, it might be easier for you to have a secondary drive encrypted and mounted as /home
For a new person to Linux, this might not be a very easy way of doing it, but is an option if you don't wish to do a total reinstall.
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious