Package update (Telegram 2.3)

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Package update (Telegram 2.3)

Postby balkanifelmuvelt » 2020-08-19 20:01

Hi,

I just installed Debian bullseye, I am really new to linux, the CLI is still a little bit strange to use. :D
I try to discover the system and read the manuals etc but I thought I start to use the forum as well.
I would have a question about the process of the package updates.

On some of my devices Telegram was refreshed to 2.3 and it has a video call feature now.
I installed telegram via apt, it has a 2.2 version. Telegram 2.2

The Telegram desktop app could be downloaded from its site. Is it safe to use? Will this version appear in apt?
A developer team is testing 2.3 and will release it then I will be able to install it with apt install?

What is the cycle of application updates in general?

Thanks
balkanifelmuvelt

Re: Package update (Telegram 2.3)

Postby sunrat » 2020-08-19 22:01

Version 2.2 was released by Telegram on 26.07.20 (I got it through normal Debian upgrade on 03.08.2020) and is the current version in testing and unstable, so that shows Debian maintainers are fairly quick to package it for Debian. The only change in 2.3 is the addition of the alpha version of video calls which should be a killer feature. I would guess it appears in testing and unstable fairly quickly too. Patience, grasshopper! Telegram only released v2.3 six days ago. :wink:
I always prefer to get packages from the Debian repos if they are available, but I did use the package from their website for a long time before i knew there was a Debian package and it worked fine.

If you're new to Linux, you probably should do upgrades using Synaptic or a similar graphical package manager. There are about a million guides on the interwebz how to use it.
Using CLI is not scary though and ends up being faster, more powerful and efficient once you know a bit of it. Your standard upgrade process would be
Code: Select all
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

There can also be widgets in the panels to show when upgrades are available and enable running them, and even packages that do upgrades automatically. Reading the Debian wiki guide on package management is the best way to learn.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!
sunrat

Postby stevepusser » 2020-08-20 03:58

It's been said many times, but testing is for testers, not those brand-new to Linux, even though it does have newer packages. At least run stable for a time in order to learn how to manage a system before jumping to upstream.
MX Linux packager and developer
stevepusser

Postby balkanifelmuvelt » 2020-08-20 13:22

Hey sunrat, thanks for your answer.

sunrat wrote:Patience, grasshopper! Telegram only released v2.3 six days ago. :wink:

I am not that impatient but rather curious how things are going.
I guess because telegram is free source developers grab the code and test it in sid environment, after that it goes to bullseye, right? They were really fast with 2.2 version! ;)

I stay with CLI I guess, it is a good thing to learn something new.

stevepusser wrote:...

I used Debian stable for a week but the applications seemed too old, I chose the testing .... to test myself. :D
balkanifelmuvelt

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-08-20 17:18

Arch has had v2.3 since 2020-08-16 and it works better for cutting-edge software because it's a rolling release rather than a development branch.
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby arid » 2020-08-20 21:56

stevepusser wrote:It's been said many times, but testing is for testers, not those brand-new to Linux, even though it does have newer packages. At least run stable for a time in order to learn how to manage a system before jumping to upstream.

Therefore, unstable is for the unstable. :mrgreen:
There's no drama in my sid......
arid

Postby balkanifelmuvelt » 2020-08-20 22:21

arid wrote:
stevepusser wrote:It's been said many times, but testing is for testers, not those brand-new to Linux, even though it does have newer packages. At least run stable for a time in order to learn how to manage a system before jumping to upstream.

:D :D :D
balkanifelmuvelt

Postby sunrat » 2020-08-21 00:15

arid wrote:

That explains my life - Sid user for over 12 years. :P
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!
sunrat

Postby stevepusser » 2020-08-21 01:53

arid wrote:

You win the forums today! :lol:
MX Linux packager and developer
stevepusser

Postby arid » 2020-08-21 17:49

As long as this thread has gone completely off the rails...

I'm not done!

stevepusser wrote: At least run stable for a time in order to learn how to manage a system before jumping to upstream.

Wow, manage a system that never changes. My dream when I had to work for a living.

sunrat wrote:That explains my life - Sid user for over 12 years.

I started with sid ~20 years ago.

You all have been warned. :mrgreen:
There's no drama in my sid......
arid

Return to Beginners Questions