Shared printer on TP-Link Archer A7

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Shared printer on TP-Link Archer A7

Postby FredN » 2020-08-28 21:03

Please help me.
I have an HP Photosmart d110a connected to a TP-LINK Archer A7 wifi router that is shared with another computer. I got the other computer connected to the Archer A7 router (its a Windows 10 machine) but TP-Link did not have any printer utilities for Linux. Has anyone any experience with this?
Debian seems to recognize that there is a printer there but cannot connect to it.
FredN

Re: Shared printer on TP-Link Archer A7

Postby FredN » 2020-08-30 14:47

Further information"
When I use the Printing Troubleshooter, the message reads:
"Check Server Firewall - It is not possible to connect to the server
"Please check to see if a firewall or router configuration is blocking TCP port 631 on server 'tplinkwifi.net'"
FredN

Postby LE_746F6D617A7A69 » 2020-08-30 19:55

FredN wrote:I have an HP Photosmart d110a connected to a TP-LINK Archer A7 wifi router that is shared with another computer. I got the other computer connected to the Archer A7 router (its a Windows 10 machine) but TP-Link did not have any printer utilities for Linux. Has anyone any experience with this?
Debian seems to recognize that there is a printer there but cannot connect to it.

Apparently You have no idea of what You're doing:
- what does it mean "shared" for You?
- what are those mysterious "TP-Link printer utilities"?
- [EDIT] and how the printer is connected to the network?

I'm assuming that You have the CUPS installed on Debian - this means that the printer is discovered trough IPP - what is the router config, regarding the address name spaces, port forwarding (especially for port 631)?

By default, the TP-Link routers are equipped with a slightly modified DD-WRT software, which is a complete shit(*) - You should switch to OpenWRT, which is ~10 times faster and much less problematic.

FredN wrote:Further information"
When I use the Printing Troubleshooter, the message reads:
"Check Server Firewall - It is not possible to connect to the server
"Please check to see if a firewall or router configuration is blocking TCP port 631 on server 'tplinkwifi.net'"

CUPS offers a WEB-based interface available at localhost:631 - did You tried it? (paste this into the web-browser)

(*) DD-WRT was a great router distro ~10 year ago - but since then, they have sold themselves, and now they are creating a totally shitty software for big companies - the only value for them is the money, and they have forgot about the quality.
My Archer C7 equipped with DD-WRT soft have booted in ~60 seconds, offering practically no options for tuning; switched to OpenWRT -> booting in ~15 seconds, offers a package manager, QOS - just in few clicks - f.u.c.k the TP-Link ;)
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed
LE_746F6D617A7A69

Postby FredN » 2020-08-31 13:01

Apparently You have no idea of what You're doing:

Gee LE_746F6D617A7A69,
If I knew what I was doing I probably would not be asking questions in the beginner section of this forum. But thank you for the reminder.
To answer your questions:
- what does it mean "shared" for You?
It means what I found in the TP-Link Archer A7 user guide which "describes how to use the USB port to share files and media from the USB storage devices over your home network locally, or remotely through the internet."
- what are those mysterious "TP-Link printer utilities"?

The mysterious "TP-Link printer utilities" are found on the https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/archer-a7/#Utility webpage.
- [EDIT] and how the printer is connected to the network?
- It is connected to the router via the USB port on the back of the router,
I'm assuming that You have the CUPS installed on Debian - this means that the printer is discovered trough IPP - what is the router config, regarding the address name spaces, port forwarding (especially for port 631)?
CUPS is installed and when I do a systemctl status it is running. I need to figure out the particulars,
CUPS offers a WEB-based interface available at localhost:631 - did You tried it?
Yes and thank you I think I can figure this out.
FredN

Postby LE_746F6D617A7A69 » 2020-08-31 13:49

Uhm, and the translation of Your first 2 posts to English, would look like this:

FredN _should_ wrote:I have an Archer A7 router, firmware version <unknown>, and I have connected the HP Photosmart d110a printer to the Router' USB port. Then I have enabled the print server in the router settings. The problem is that CUPS on Debian can't connect to that print server, but it works on my other machine which is running Windows10.
How should I configure the CUPS to use external print server?

The above, translated text contains the keywords which You should use to search the WEB ...
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed
LE_746F6D617A7A69

Return to Beginners Questions