Update Problem? (SOLVED)

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Update Problem? (SOLVED)

Postby Castle_Age » 2020-09-04 17:01

Not exactly sure what this means or how to go about fixing this...any articles to lead me in the right direction?

Last edited by Castle_Age on 2020-09-06 02:41, edited 1 time in total.
Castle_Age

Re: Update Problem?

Postby arochester » 2020-09-04 17:19

A mirror can be down temporarily.

Have you got Synaptic? If so, go Settings>Repositories>Debian Software>Download from>Other>Select Best Server
arochester

Postby cuckooflew » 2020-09-04 20:48

The "image" just goes to blank page, at least for me, but you could show what your
Code: Select all
/etc/apt/sources.list
show us what it has in it.
Yes a mirror could also be down, but with out any details it is only guessing.
Based on the title "update problem",.. I don't what that means either, what are you trying to update ?
The so called image, just says "deepin-screenshot-2020", ? What is that ? Please give some better details, What version of Debian, show your sources.list file, explain what you want to update, eg: some package name, or what ? How do you run the command to update ?
of course, if you do have synaptic, and what arochester says works, no need for anything, just mark the post solved by editing the subject line and add the word "solved" to it.
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!
cuckooflew

Postby sgosnell » 2020-09-04 22:13

The screenshot shows that mirror.aarnet.edu.au is down. Security.debiian.org updated, but the mirror wouldn't. That's why I don't use local mirrors - they go down all too often. I use one of the debian.org sites, after too many episodes of being unable to update over the years. There is a local university mirror near me, but it's too unreliable to use.
sgosnell

Postby cuckooflew » 2020-09-04 22:24

Weird, now the screen shot does show, it didn't earlier,maybe it is just me, ...Any way, yea , they could just use a different mirror, that should solve the problem
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!
cuckooflew

Postby sunrat » 2020-09-04 22:32

sgosnell wrote:The screenshot shows that mirror.aarnet.edu.au is down. Security.debiian.org updated, but the mirror wouldn't. That's why I don't use local mirrors - they go down all too often. I use one of the debian.org sites, after too many episodes of being unable to update over the years. There is a local university mirror near me, but it's too unreliable to use.

I used to pick a close mirror like aarnet or monash uni but they would occasionally be down or fail to be up-to-date. Now I just put deb.debian.org in sources and let that redirect to the best close working mirror. It's the default when installing Debian and the recommended example at https://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!
sunrat

Postby sgosnell » 2020-09-04 23:21

Yeah, that's what I do. There used to be a different syntax for that, which I've forgotten, but it's good that they made it simpler.
sgosnell

Postby stevepusser » 2020-09-05 04:48

It also means you should choose a dark background or turn off transparency for your terminal when you post a screenshot to make it easier to read. The best way is to copy and paste the text into code tags in a post here, though.
MX Linux packager and developer
stevepusser

Postby sgosnell » 2020-09-05 13:46

Posting screenshots like that will not win you any friends in forums. Text output in code tags is far easier to read. I suspect most people will just ignore such screenshots. We don't care that you're a Jurassic Park fan, and the dark theme makes screenshots harder to read. Just the text, man, to misquote Sgt. Joe Friday.
sgosnell

Re: Update Problem? (SOLVED)

Postby Castle_Age » 2020-09-06 02:38

Hey guys sorry for the long update to mark this as solved. But I'm guessing it was just down for a bit like y'all said, it eventually just started working which was weird. I had messed up a few things that day on this system messing around with snaps and what not. Trying to figure out what all this stuff means and how to use Linux. Thank you for the help. Going to start researching how to change mirrors and what not, trying to do most of what i can using the command line.

Sorry about the picture and it being hard to read, and the Jurassic Park in the back.... I just posted the pic real quick asking what my next step to try and trouble shoot the problem should be. Wasn't really looking for THE answer directly? Not sure if that makes since? Been trying to learn it myself you know. To me the text was clear enough to see, looked like a simple error on my part or a setting and not a deep problem that I needed to be serious about. Sorry about that truly. This is just a comp that my wife and i use to watch YouTube that's about it.

By the way..The Jurassic Park thing was funny to me cause that was the first place I saw a command line being used at when I was a kid lol. Sorry you didn't get it :cry:
Castle_Age

Postby sgosnell » 2020-09-06 02:48

It's ok, really. It's just that my eyes are old, and I don't always have all that much time for downloading images and trying to read text in it. Posting text, inside code tags, makes things at least an order of magnitude easier to read and understand, and is far more likely to get someone to try to help you. It's all a learning process, but learning quickly has a big advantage. You'll adapt quickly, I'm sure.
sgosnell

Postby Castle_Age » 2020-09-06 04:32

Thank you :D
Castle_Age

Return to Beginners Questions