Changing Video Cards

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Changing Video Cards

Postby JeSuisFlaneur » 2020-09-05 15:14

I'm buying a GPU (Nvidia). It's about 3 to 4 years old so the drivers and software are mature. I've double-checked that the card will run on my motherboard/cpu combo with Debian.

I have an Nvidia GT710 card and Nvidia drivers for it installed now. (not Nouveau)

Can I swap out the cards and run Debian long enough to get the drivers for the "new" card? That is, will I get a "Desktop"? I know that in Microsoft, it has kinda-a-generic driver for such occasions.

How do I do this in Debian 10 Buster?
JeSuisFlaneur

Re: Changing Video Cards

Postby Bulkley » 2020-09-05 15:39

I can't give you an exact answer but I have taken a hard drive out of one machine, installed it in another and booted up without any apparent issues. I have also changed video cards without problems. Linux can be very resilient. My suggestion is to try it. Make sure to back up any important files on another drive before making any changes.
Bulkley

Postby kedaha » 2020-09-05 15:48

Hi,
It's difficult to answer the question without knowing which driver you are currently using.
install inxi and run:
Code: Select all
# inxi -G

I have my doubts that the old Nvidia GT710 card is still supported in Buster. Or are you upgrading from a previous release?
However, you don't need a desktop to install, if necessary, a new driver for Nvidia.
Just remove all the present nvidia stuff and revert to Nouveau then swap the card.
If by any chance it boots to a "black screen" then login, su - to root, install nvidia-detect and run that and proceed as advised. But consulting wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers won't come amiss.
Description: NVIDIA GPU detection utility
The 'nvidia-detect' script in this package checks for an NVIDIA GPU in the
system and recommends one of the non-free accelerated driver meta-packages
(nvidia-driver, nvidia-legacy-390xx-driver, nvidia-legacy-340xx-driver,
nvidia-tesla-440-driver, or nvidia-tesla-418-driver) for installation.

If you really feel you need to do it from the "comfort zone" of a desktop then just use Nouveau.
"Please accept my resignation. I don’t care to belong to any club that will have me as a member".—Groucho Marx
kedaha

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-09-05 18:55

kedaha wrote:consulting wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers won't come amiss

That guide is outdated — the proprietary NVIDIA drivers are now auto-detected by the X server so an X.Org configuration file is no longer needed (apparently).
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby kedaha » 2020-09-05 19:58

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
kedaha wrote:consulting wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers won't come amiss

That guide is outdated — the proprietary NVIDIA drivers are now auto-detected by the X server so an X.Org configuration file is no longer needed (apparently).

Yes, while the guide has been updated for Buster, it still says:
As the NVIDIA driver is not autodetected by Xorg, a configuration file is required to be supplied.

which can be disregarded, unless, as it goes on to say under NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#Configuration
Modern Debian packages for the NVIDIA driver should not require you to do anything listed here as they handle this automatically during installation, but if you run into issues, or are using a much older version of Debian, you may try going through these steps.

But, anyway, supplying a configuration file, while it may be superfluous, wouldn't interfere with loading the driver.
"Please accept my resignation. I don’t care to belong to any club that will have me as a member".—Groucho Marx
kedaha

Postby sunrat » 2020-09-05 22:43

GT710 is not that old having been released in 2014. It is supported by the current 418.152.00-1 driver in Buster. If your replacement card is newer than that (and it would have been useful to tell us it's model) it will probably work fine just doing a straight swap.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!
sunrat

Return to Beginners Questions