problem nvidia-driver on debian 11

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Re: problem nvidia-driver on debian 11

Postby stevepusser » 2020-11-11 11:53

I'm pretty sure that the 1660 is supported by the standard nvidia-driver in Buster non-free, so that begs the question (besides the virtual machine mess) as to why the backports version. The normal procedure is get it working on stable if it's supported, then upgrade from backports.
MX Linux packager and developer
stevepusser

Postby kkfu » 2020-11-11 17:23

stevepusser wrote:I'm pretty sure that the 1660 is supported by the standard nvidia-driver in Buster non-free, so that begs the question (besides the virtual machine mess) as to why the backports version. The normal procedure is get it working on stable if it's supported, then upgrade from backports.

Hi, thx all for support (even if I entered this post not being mine. I really thought my issue had to do with the latest drivers in experimental) Although I posted I did a new reinstall, before that I used the experimental nvidia-driver and basically discovered I created a Frakendebian when after a system update&upgrade it just wont boot up. After that -and being new to linux and Debian- I had such a confusion that I decided to post here. As you mentioned the gtx1660 runs fine following ONLY the steps described here: https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsD ... figuration.
What I did to solve my fresh install issue was:
-
Code: Select all
apt remove -t buster-backports linux-headers-amd64

-
Code: Select all
apt install linux-headers-amd64

-edit the xml and leave the gtx1660 as only gpu.
I misunderstood:
If you're using the kernel from Debian Backports, you must run the same command but with the -t flag followed by the name of your backports source. For instance, if you're using Buster's backports on a 64-bit system, you might run:
I actually was not using the kernel from banckports.
Just wanted to explain how I solved it in case it hepls anyone in the future.
kkfu

Postby conclave » 2020-11-16 16:38

I have gone through hell on earth with nvidia and use with Debian and AV Linux. Their drivers never work by following instructions for installing and usually result in specialized knowledge of modifying a Linux kernel which is something far above my abilities and knowledge. I have written some really hard core criticisms to their corporate headquarters concerning problems with a PNY GeForce NVIDIA GT 1030. I'm into using Blender graphic arts program and needed to upgrade with this add on card for better performance using that program. Totally caused a complete destruction of an internal hard drive with three different operating systems that had to be reinstalled taking many hours of time. Even on Windows 7 this card caused continuous operating system crashing and closing. This card wound up in my closet useless until I got on-line with internet a couple of years later. Tested the card and installed on a newer computer (did not work earlier without an internet connection) and it finally started working with Linux operating systems when connected to internet. Nvidia does have all kinds of drivers available yet for my personal situation had nothing but frustrating experience. I find that as an add on card AMD Radeon work much better and usually install successfully following installation instructions and packages available in the Debian repositories. I also use Fedora and this particular Nvidia card on Fedora was ridiculously slow as though some kind of worm virus was on the operating system, totally useless.
conclave

Postby sunrat » 2020-11-16 21:50

conclave wrote:I have gone through hell on earth with nvidia and use with Debian and AV Linux.

I use a GTX970 with both Debian/KDE and AVLinux with nvidia driver and it works nicely. I'm sure many other people do too. I also have an older machine with GTX560 Ti which works fine with nouveau.
It is fairly widely acknowledged that AMD cards are a much easier plug n' play option for Linux these days as their open source drivers are included in the kernel and perform well. You should stick with AMD if you can't get your Nvidia to work properly.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!
sunrat

Previous

Return to Beginners Questions