Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Can't install steam due to 32-bit drivers

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
manitari

Can't install steam due to 32-bit drivers

#1 Post by manitari »

Hello. I am a new debian user and I can't seem to install the multiarch nvidia drivers. I have enabled the 32 bit the architecture, but when I try to install the needed package I get this issue:

sudo apt install nvidia-driver-libs:i386 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
nvidia-driver-libs:i386 : Depends: libgl1-nvidia-glvnd-glx:i386 (= 418.152.00-1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: nvidia-egl-icd:i386 (= 418.152.00-1) but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: libglx-nvidia0:i386 (= 418.152.00-1) but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: libgles-nvidia1:i386 (= 418.152.00-1) but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: libgles-nvidia2:i386 (= 418.152.00-1) but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: nvidia-vulkan-icd:i386 (= 418.152.00-1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

I have followed the wiki's guide on installing steam btw

Islander

Re: Can't install steam due to 32-bit drivers

#2 Post by Islander »

It could be because you have installed packages that conflict.

Try

Code: Select all

sudo apt purge *nvidia*:i386 ; sudo apt autoremove
to remove all 32-bit nVidia packages, and then

Code: Select all

sudo apt install nvidia-driver-libs:i386

zarathustra-f90

#3 Post by zarathustra-f90 »

Did you install the kernel headers first? ($ sudo apt install linux-headers-amd64)

Also, I had faced this error with installation of Steam using the backports version of Nvidia driver because i should install (obviously) the backports version of i386.

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

zarathustra-f90 wrote:Did you install the kernel headers first? ($ sudo apt install linux-headers-amd64)

Also, I had faced this error with installation of Steam using the backports version of Nvidia driver because i should install (obviously) the backports version of i386.
If they were successful in building and installing the 64-bit drivers, the 32-bit libraries don't need a module build, since 4XX only supports 64-bit.

Perhaps we could see some evidence that the 64-bit build succeeded, adding the i386 multiarch resulted in adding it,

apt update (did you remember this?)

dpkg --print-foreign-architectures

and what the 0P's repo situation is, since those are the three most common issues. For the last, they could install inxi and report the output of "inxi -r".
MX Linux packager and developer

zarathustra-f90

#5 Post by zarathustra-f90 »

If they were successful in building and installing the 64-bit drivers, the 32-bit libraries don't need a module build, since 4XX only supports 64-bit.

Perhaps we could see some evidence that the 64-bit build succeeded, adding the i386 multiarch resulted in adding it,
Sorry but got confused a bit about what you mean..However, during apt install steam it is required to install the i386 together with 32-bit libraries, otherwise the installation does not finish and errors are produced.

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

zarathustra-f90 wrote:

Sorry but got confused a bit about what you mean..However, during apt install steam it is required to install the i386 together with 32-bit libraries, otherwise the installation does not finish and errors are produced.
Yes, the i386 libs are just some closed binary blobs for use by 64-bit users. 32-bit users cannot build or use a kernel module for the 4xx series.
MX Linux packager and developer