Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How is SSH2 usage nowadays

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Copernicus365

How is SSH2 usage nowadays

#1 Post by Copernicus365 »

Hi
So I wonder how is the SSH2 usage on Debian nowadays?
Is it worth the risk to get the system compromised to use it, with the added benefit of remote location access?
Are there some good guides to start use SSH2 somewhere and how do I set up to only allow SSH2 connections from a specific IP (I found info on Wikipedia that you can only allow SSH2 connections from a specific IP adress)?
Is it normal to use SSH2 for Debian server owners?

Link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSH_(Secure_Shell)

arzgi

Re: How is SSH2 usage nowadays

#2 Post by arzgi »

I'm not an expert for that subject, but some thoughts.

If you don't need ssh-server or any other, then don't enable those.

It's been a long time recommended that only ssh2 connections are allowed in /etc/ssh/sshd_config

To sshd_config you can also add addresses it will listen.

There are also firewalls and other tools which can block or allow for example ip's.

reinob

Re: How is SSH2 usage nowadays

#3 Post by reinob »

Copernicus365 wrote:Hi
So I wonder how is the SSH2 usage on Debian nowadays?
The way your phrased your question appears to imply that you think SSH version 2 is somewhat new or experimental.
It's however about 15 years old, and no use should be using SSH version 1 under any circumstances.

So I don't know what you need to know. SSH is used everywhere where a server runs, and in many clients too.

Just make sure you're running up-to-date (supported) versions, and disable password authentication. You should use public key authentication, and preferably protect the local (private) key with a passphrase, in case your client computer gets compromised.