"Boot Device Not Found"

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

"Boot Device Not Found"

Postby NewDebianGuy » 2020-12-29 15:32

I am brand new to Linux--in fact, I've never used it. After watching some training on how to install it, I created a bootable Debian (latest stable version) USB drive and went through the basic setup wizard. The system is an HP Pavillion 23 All-in-One PC.

I had to install a couple of additional packages for some non-free NIC drivers, which seemed to work well. After all of the loading bars and installation questions (which I kept at default settings except for time/location/etc, I got a successfull install notification. But upon restart, the HP system either freezes at the HP logo (no option to boot into BIOS or anything), or I get "Boot Device Not Found."

I thought it might have to do with Secure Boot, so I got a Windows 10 Installer USB in order to get into the BIOS (which worked out fine), but Secure Boot was already disabled, and I turned legacy boot on, which also didn't help.

I tried the whole installation again in case something went wrong, but, again, "Boot Device Not Found."

The internet doesn't seem to have what I'm looking for, but then again, I don't really know what I'm looking for. Again, I have never used Linux. What am I missing??
NewDebianGuy

Re: "Boot Device Not Found"

Postby arzgi » 2020-12-29 15:46

Have you changed the boot order to boot from that USB-drive?

Many laptops and motherboards print a short POST message, when booted, which often tells how to change the boot device.
arzgi

Postby NewDebianGuy » 2020-12-29 15:47

arzgi wrote:Have you changed the boot order to boot from that USB-drive?

Many laptops and motherboards print a short POST message, when booted, which often tells how to change the boot device.

Yes. It looks like the installer named to bootable drive "Debian," so I moved that to priority level one. That didn't seem to work. I've also tried going into the boot menu and directly selecting "Debian," but, again, I only get "No boot disk has been detected..."
NewDebianGuy

Postby p.H » 2020-12-29 18:57

I have no experience with this model, but I have seen two flaws with other HP series.

1) In BIOS/legacy boot mode, the firmware won't boot a drive unless a partition in the MBR has the boot flag set.

2) In UEFI boot mode, the firmware seems to ignore EFI boot entries (such as "debian") and only boots with the "removable device path" if present in the EFI system partition. To work around this, copy EFI/debian/* into EFI/Boot and rename Boot/shimx64.efi as bootx64.efi.
Last edited by p.H on 2020-12-31 09:11, edited 1 time in total.
p.H

Return to Beginners Questions