Trouble Building SDL-1.2.14

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Trouble Building SDL-1.2.14

Postby asweetrameking » 2021-01-08 19:56

Hello,
I'm building SDL-1.2.14 on Debian Stretch. Running
Code: Select all
./configure
yielded no errors. All of a sudden, some errors appeared at some point while running
$ make
:
/bin/bash ./libtool --mode=compile gcc -g -O2  -I./include -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -fvisibility=hidden  -D_REENTRANT -DHAVE_LINUX_VERSION_H -c ./src/video/SDL_RLEaccel.c  -o build/SDL_RLEaccel.lo
libtool: compile:  gcc -g -O2 -I./include -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -fvisibility=hidden -D_REENTRANT -DHAVE_LINUX_VERSION_H -c ./src/video/SDL_RLEaccel.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o build/.libs/SDL_RLEaccel.o
./src/video/SDL_RLEaccel.c: Assembler messages:
./src/video/SDL_RLEaccel.c:831: Error: operand type mismatch for `movq'
./src/video/SDL_RLEaccel.c:930: Error: operand type mismatch for `movq'
build-deps:536: recipe for target 'build/SDL_RLEaccel.lo' failed
make: *** [build/SDL_RLEaccel.lo] Error 1
$

I did find one bug report similar to this topic: https://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?format=multiple&id=50111. I did change the flag value several times (the default at "-g -O2"), and it only changed the position of the errors. I do not know how to use the flags, but fooling around with them did not seem to be a solution (at least changing the flags alone). I did not understand the last comment in that thread, either.
Have a great day!
asweetrameking

Re: Trouble Building SDL-1.2.14

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2021-01-08 20:26

asweetrameking wrote:I'm building SDL-1.2.14 on Debian Stretch.

Why? Verison 1.2.15 is available from the repositories.

If you really need the older version then check debian/patches/* & debian/rules in the Debian versions:

https://salsa.debian.org/sdl-team/libsd ... ter/debian
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby asweetrameking » 2021-01-09 14:04

Hello,
I'm using an application which was last released without testing the version 1.2.15. Thank you for directing me to the link! How do I use the rules file, though? I know I am missing something, but it looks like I am supposed to edit /usr/share/dpkg/architecture.mk and /usr/share/dpkg/pkg-info.mk. Or am I supposed to edit buildflags.mk? Also, it does not look like the .patch files themselves specifically fix the file SDL_RLEaccel.c.
Have a great day!
asweetrameking

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2021-01-09 16:47

Perhaps download the 1.2.14 tarball then unpack it and add the debian/ folder from my link but crop out the changelog file so that a package is built for that version. You'll probably have to play around with the patches (or maybe just remove some) to get it to build though.
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby asweetrameking » 2021-01-09 16:50

Hello,
Thank you so much for the clarification! I'll let you know how it works out, then.
Have a great day!
asweetrameking

Postby asweetrameking » 2021-01-09 17:32

I just put the debian/ folder in the same directory as the configure file of the 1.2.14 package. However, attempting to build it takes about the same time to get to those errors. This leads me to believe that the folder which I just put in there is not getting recognised. Am I correct in assuming this? If so, how can I make it recognised?
asweetrameking

Postby asweetrameking » 2021-01-09 18:38

I tried manually patching, and I learned that after putting debian/ in the SDL-1.2.14 directory with the configure file in it (like I did at first), it did not recognise the folder. Removing certain patches manually to make this work may take a while, though (some caused errors), because sometimes the patching manager asks me where a file location is, and filling in the directory does not work with the tab key or arrow keys.

Does anyone know how to get the "configure" file or the "Makefile" file to recognise a new directory?
asweetrameking

Return to Beginners Questions