Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Trouble Building SDL-1.2.14

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
asweetrameking

Trouble Building SDL-1.2.14

#1 Post by asweetrameking »

Hello,
I'm building SDL-1.2.14 on Debian Stretch. Running

Code: Select all

./configure
yielded no errors. All of a sudden, some errors appeared at some point while running

$ make
:

/bin/bash ./libtool --mode=compile gcc -g -O2  -I./include -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -fvisibility=hidden  -D_REENTRANT -DHAVE_LINUX_VERSION_H -c ./src/video/SDL_RLEaccel.c  -o build/SDL_RLEaccel.lo
libtool: compile:  gcc -g -O2 -I./include -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -fvisibility=hidden -D_REENTRANT -DHAVE_LINUX_VERSION_H -c ./src/video/SDL_RLEaccel.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o build/.libs/SDL_RLEaccel.o
./src/video/SDL_RLEaccel.c: Assembler messages:
./src/video/SDL_RLEaccel.c:831: Error: operand type mismatch for `movq'
./src/video/SDL_RLEaccel.c:930: Error: operand type mismatch for `movq'
build-deps:536: recipe for target 'build/SDL_RLEaccel.lo' failed
make: *** [build/SDL_RLEaccel.lo] Error 1
$
I did find one bug report similar to this topic: https://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.c ... e&id=50111. I did change the flag value several times (the default at "-g -O2"), and it only changed the position of the errors. I do not know how to use the flags, but fooling around with them did not seem to be a solution (at least changing the flags alone). I did not understand the last comment in that thread, either.
Have a great day!

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Trouble Building SDL-1.2.14

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

asweetrameking wrote:I'm building SDL-1.2.14 on Debian Stretch.
Why? Verison 1.2.15 is available from the repositories.

If you really need the older version then check debian/patches/* & debian/rules in the Debian versions:

https://salsa.debian.org/sdl-team/libsd ... ter/debian
deadbang

asweetrameking

#3 Post by asweetrameking »

Hello,
I'm using an application which was last released without testing the version 1.2.15. Thank you for directing me to the link! How do I use the rules file, though? I know I am missing something, but it looks like I am supposed to edit /usr/share/dpkg/architecture.mk and /usr/share/dpkg/pkg-info.mk. Or am I supposed to edit buildflags.mk? Also, it does not look like the .patch files themselves specifically fix the file SDL_RLEaccel.c.
Have a great day!

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Perhaps download the 1.2.14 tarball then unpack it and add the debian/ folder from my link but crop out the changelog file so that a package is built for that version. You'll probably have to play around with the patches (or maybe just remove some) to get it to build though.
deadbang

asweetrameking

#5 Post by asweetrameking »

Hello,
Thank you so much for the clarification! I'll let you know how it works out, then.
Have a great day!

asweetrameking

#6 Post by asweetrameking »

I just put the debian/ folder in the same directory as the configure file of the 1.2.14 package. However, attempting to build it takes about the same time to get to those errors. This leads me to believe that the folder which I just put in there is not getting recognised. Am I correct in assuming this? If so, how can I make it recognised?

asweetrameking

#7 Post by asweetrameking »

I tried manually patching, and I learned that after putting debian/ in the SDL-1.2.14 directory with the configure file in it (like I did at first), it did not recognise the folder. Removing certain patches manually to make this work may take a while, though (some caused errors), because sometimes the patching manager asks me where a file location is, and filling in the directory does not work with the tab key or arrow keys.

Does anyone know how to get the "configure" file or the "Makefile" file to recognise a new directory?

asweetrameking

#8 Post by asweetrameking »

I will attempt to use "quilt" (https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/main ... fy.en.html) in order to integrate the debian/ directory into the SDL-1.2.14 directory.

stevepusser

#9 Post by stevepusser »

asweetrameking wrote:I will attempt to use "quilt" (https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/main ... fy.en.html) in order to integrate the debian/ directory into the SDL-1.2.14 directory.
Please don't. You don't really have to patch a debian folder into the source's root folder--just copy or move it there. If the original source came with a debian folder, just delete it first.

You might be able to rebuild the old Debian source packages from here without patching: https://snapshot.debian.org/package/lib ... v_1.2.14-7

I'm also a bit confused about your mystery program--are you saying that it won't work with sdl 1.2.15, but should with 1.2.14?
MX Linux packager and developer

asweetrameking

#10 Post by asweetrameking »

Thank you for saving me from using quilt! I checked your link, and it was easier to install the SDL-1.2.1.4 through that; however, I had to fix some dependencies (I made backed up my system in order to be safe). For example, it says to install version "1.2.14-7" of "libsdl1.2deb" , but it does not look like that package exists in any form, so I think I got it to work with version "1.2.15+dfsg1-4" (edit: I noticed that version 1.2.14-7 of libsdl1.2debian was in the folder to which you sent the link!). (Coincidentally, I also found your version of gcc-8, which works on my system.) To your last point--I was trying to install "onscripter-en", an old gaming engine whose last release was from around 2011, and there was something wrong with the audio integration in certain titles, so I think this may help.

asweetrameking

#11 Post by asweetrameking »

SDL-1.2.14 (after almost a month of using it) was successfully installed on my computer using the very helpful https://snapshot.debian.org/ link. There, I found most of the most important dependencies (and other similar packages for my project), and those dependencies' dependencies I found elsewhere on the internet. So, I didn't really end up building SDL-1.2.14, as certain errors popped up in the process of building it. However, after using "dpkg" to install everything, SDL-1.2.14 is now installed, and it works great with the game engine.
The only problem I have after installation (including dependencies) is that typing certain prefixes (I use Gnome interface) into the search for applications bar appears to restart the desktop, and if this happens twice within a relatively short time, it completely stops running (e.g. "a," "j," "z," "au" don't work, etc.). Also, Zoom does not work anymore, and "Show Applications" also resets the desktop. However, this is completely manageable at the moment, and I also backed up the system before I did this at all. (Slight edit: I now remember that these errors only occurred after I installed a different similar package--possibly libsdl-ttf2.0-dev_2.0.9-1.1--and not SDL-1.2.14). I suppose that this is all off-topic, but it is a warning to anyone else who wants to attempt something similar: if it is done, then the desktop environment and more unstable programs may act strangely.