10.7.0 netinst install in VM - no root or sudo access

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

10.7.0 netinst install in VM - no root or sudo access

Postby jhg » 2021-01-09 23:30

I installed from debian-10.7.0-amd64-netinst.iso into a VM under gnome-boxes on a CentOS 8.1 (Stream) system.

During install I was prompted to create a user, but not a root password.

After finishing the install, I can boot the VM just fine, but I find that the user I created is not in sudoers, and I cannot su or login as root as I have no password. Google searching tells me root is disabled by default and has no password.

Tried adding init=/usr/bin/bash (and init=/bin/bash as well) to bootparams, but that causes the boot to fail with what looks like an uninitialized screen buffer on the screen.

Screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/XnOHwPn.png

Booting with "rw init=/usr/bin/bash" (removed "quiet") results in this

Screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/uBMNJZ9.png

Suggestions? Is gnome-boxes not a good choice for VM management?
jhg

Re: 10.7.0 netinst install in VM - no root or sudo access

Postby morse_the_horse » 2021-01-10 00:52

Did it prompt you to create a password for that user? Are you sure you are typing in the password you thought you said?

I'd try to re-install one more time.
morse_the_horse

Re: 10.7.0 netinst install in VM - no root or sudo access

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2021-01-10 08:56

jhg wrote:During install I was prompted to create a user, but not a root password.

You should pay more attention to the installation then because you missed this bit:

^ That screen is taken from the ISO image to which you refer and is shown just after the localisation and hostname questions.

jhg wrote:I find that the user I created is not in sudoers

If you do not enter a root password then the user is added to the sudo group automatically, this means that the user does not have to be added to /etc/sudoers. Have you actually tried using the sudo command?

jhg wrote:Google searching tells me root is disabled by default and has no password.

Your search-fu is poor. That situation is only true for Ubuntu and some other Debian derivatives. In Debian the root account is only disabled if you do not enter a root password in the screen I have shown above.
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
Head_on_a_Stick

Return to Beginners Questions