FIXED! Need an expert to tell me what I'm not doing correct?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

FIXED! Need an expert to tell me what I'm not doing correct?

Postby ou812 » 2021-01-10 21:17

I am NOT a linux person! I can edit some miner files as needed but I need someone to please help me with an issue?
I have a windows computer with winscp and file zilla on it I can ssh into the raspberry pi. I can log into the pi directly.
But the issue is I can't seem to drop files or folders into the /opt folder? when the folder when permissions is not greyed out it looks like its set to 755 that gives me read, write, and execute? I think the issue is I have no idea how to get file zilla or winscp to log into the pi as root? in the pi I can login as pi them use SU - and switch to root. But no clue how to get my two folders transferred as needed, I was able to do a make dir and get the right folder names in but no file transfer.

Could someone (PLEASE) tell be the easiest way to do this in a way I can understand. Or can I somehow take the ssd card and copy the folders to the location some other way?

Thanks
Last edited by ou812 on 2021-01-11 17:55, edited 1 time in total.
ou812

Re: Need an expert to tell me what I'm not doing correct?

Postby p.H » 2021-01-11 08:21

ou812 wrote: it looks like its set to 755 that gives me read, write, and execute?

755 gives write permission only to the owner (775 gives write permission to the owner and group ; 777 gives permission to everyone but is usually a bad idea). Who is the owner of the /opt directory ? It should be root, as it is a system directory.
Code: Select all
ls -ld /opt

ou812 wrote:I have no idea how to get file zilla or winscp to log into the pi as root?

Usually the root login via SSH or SFTP is disabled, or allowed only with authentication by private/public key, not password. I don't know if filezilla or winscp support key authentication.

What kind of contents do you want to upload into /opt ? Depending on your reply, you may
- add write permission in the destination directory to your user
- set up key authentication if the SFTP client supports it
- upload into a temporary directory you can write, the su and move the contents into the final destination
p.H

Postby ou812 » 2021-01-11 08:54

Not being a Linux person I don't know enough? The /opt folder needs to have two communication folders dropped into it that would allow be to port a two way radio to it. And knowing as little as I do I'm having an issue getting the two folders moved over to the ssd card? I don't know if this lite copy of Debain has a gui that would let me use a usb stick and copy from it to the ssd? All try to ssh back in and change permissions to 777 and see if I can copy them to the ssd if I get it there I hope I can at least go to the local machine and move them to the correct folder as root?

Thanks for your input.
ou812

Postby p.H » 2021-01-11 09:09

ou812 wrote:The /opt folder needs to have two communication folders dropped into it that would allow be to port a two way radio to it

This description is too vague to be useful. How is this contents supposed to be used ? Is it a local application ? Web server contents ?

ou812 wrote:I don't know if this lite copy of Debain has a gui that would let me use a usb stick and copy from it to the ssd?

You don't need a GUI to copy from a USB drive. You don't even need a USB drive if you have SFTP write permission on any directory.
p.H

Re: FIXED! Need an expert to tell me what I'm not doing corr

Postby ou812 » 2021-01-11 17:59

Thanks all for the help. The project said use chmod 755 I tried it and chmod 777 both didnt work. I found chmod ugo+rwx and it worked like a charm I was able to drag my stuff into the folders I needed.

Thanks again.
ou812

Re: FIXED! Need an expert to tell me what I'm not doing corr

Postby p.H » 2021-01-11 18:22

ou812 wrote:I tried it and chmod 777 both didnt work. I found chmod ugo+rwx and it worked

ugo+rwx is exactly the same as 777. You must have messed something.
p.H

Return to Beginners Questions