How do updated packages get moved to stable?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

How do updated packages get moved to stable?

Postby Annorax » 2021-01-19 13:16

Hello all,

I'm new to Debian but have been using Linux for many years. I'm giving Debian 10 stable a try and really enjoy it. However, I'm finding that "stable" does not always mean working, specifically in the case of xfce4-weather-plugin. It looks like the API and/or weather URL has changed, rendering this package completely broken. Version 0.10.0 is broken but it is fixed in 0.10.1 (which is in testing and I upgraded to and is working).

From searching around, I found the Debian bug below from nearly 2 years ago for the same issue which still has not been resolved. This seems like a very simple thing that should be moved to stable. I would rather use stable but if things are broken there (which this seems to have been broken for years), then one must use testing or sid. I'm sure there are other packages with similar issues but this is one I have encountered. I guess my question is this - why has this not been moved to stable? Is there some way end users like myself can help with this process and submit requests to the Debian team or release manager?

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=925561
Annorax

Re: How do updated packages get moved to stable?

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2021-01-19 15:53

Have you actually read the bug report? It explains how to install a fixed version and indicates that it might be included in the buster-updates repository for a future point release.
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby Annorax » 2021-01-19 17:08

Thank you for the reply and I'm sorry if I missed something.

I do see that someone kindly posted an updated package but it's for amd64 and I'm on a 32 bit computer. I searched and found the package at the below link, but manually installing it lead to missing dependencies, which then lead to other missing dependencies and so forth. I ultimately ended up moving to testing to resolve all of the dependencies.

Is there some other way to stay on stable but to have a working xfce4-weather-plugin?

https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/xf ... her-plugin
Annorax

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2021-01-19 17:15

Annorax wrote:I'm sorry if I missed something

You should insult me back rather than apologise but you're new here so don't worry about it. You'll learn :mrgreen:

Annorax wrote:Is there some other way to stay on stable but to have a working xfce4-weather-plugin?

Backport the testing/unstable package to stable. The bug report has a link to the relevant guide on the Debian wiki.

Note that testing isn't generally considered an "upgrade" from stable: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=134762

However the bullseye transition freeze for the next release started last week so you'll probably be okay.
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby Annorax » 2021-01-19 21:08

Thanks for the advice - I'll keep that in mind next time. :)

Using the documentation below I was able to install the testing version of xfce4-weather-plugin. Thank you for your help with this.

https://wiki.debian.org/SimpleBackportCreation

So I guess back to my original question - why is this package not in buster or buster-updates? This is probably due to my inexperience with the Debian release streams and processes and might be a question for the package maintainer but I'm still not clear as to why this version with the fix is not available in stable. If there's anything as an end user I can do to help this process I'd be glad to assist.
Annorax

Postby CwF » 2021-01-19 21:19

Since as you know it's been broken forever I've come to prefer my own genmon using the simpler weather-utils only to come to the conclusion it is way more accurate. That wttr.in is neat, and down often. Others, including the past sources for this plugin have always had terrible accuracy for me.

Nobody thought it was important I guess. Bullseye is close at hand. So far I haven't tried it.
Code: Select all
$  apt policy xfce4-weather-plugin
xfce4-weather-plugin:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 0.10.2-1
  Version table:
     0.10.2-1 500
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian bullseye/main i386 Packages
CwF

Return to Beginners Questions