Screen sharing / remote control (Debian Cinnamon)

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Screen sharing / remote control (Debian Cinnamon)

Postby PALADIN » 2021-01-26 15:14

Hello guys,

I am quite new to Linux and have just installed Debian Cinnamon on my media server. On my desktop computer I use Solus.
Although the server is connected to a display, I want to access it from my desktop using Remmina.

When i open Remmina on my Solus desktop and I try to connect to my server, Remmina tells me that it cannot establish a connection. I guess there might be some packages or permissions missing on the server. Unfortunately, I cannot find any settings/buttons for enabling remote access or so (like in Win10 or Solus)...

Can anyone please tell me what to do? And, please don't forget: i have no idea about Linux, so please keep instructions as simple as possible!

Thanks a lot in advance!
PALADIN

Re: Screen sharing / remote control (Debian Cinnamon)

Postby CwF » 2021-01-26 15:22

PALADIN wrote:Although the server is connected to a display, I want to access it from my desktop

Are the displays next to each other? If so use x2x.
CwF

Postby PALADIN » 2021-01-26 15:33

I think you got me wrong: I have a desktop (running Solus) and a server (running Debian Cinnamon) for Plex, openHAB etc. The desktop is in my offie, while the server is in another room. Both computers have displays, but I cannot check them at the same time. What I want to do: I want to control my server remotely from my desktop using Remmina. So the only thing that has to be done is preparing the (freshly installed) server for remote control.
PALADIN

Postby k829king » 2021-01-27 08:09

Think you need to install and configure a vncserver (e.g. tightvncserver) on the Debian Cinammon unit
k829king

Postby PALADIN » 2021-01-28 11:31

I tried several VNC server software (also the one you recommended) but none of them worked. There seems to be a general problem accessing Linux systems remotely, since I could not connect from Solus to Solus, nor from Solus to Debian Cinnamon or Solus to Debian Plasma. Very strange!
Anyway, after struggling with this issue for a whole day and getting more and more pissed, I decided to switch back to Win10. Now I can easily access my server again. I don't like to have to go back to Windows, but I just don't have the time to find out why Linux does not like connections from other Linux systems. At least, Win10 does not need a reinstall on my sever as often as on my desktop system (where Windows is a real pain in the a...).
PALADIN

Postby CwF » 2021-01-28 11:54

Is Wayland the issue?
I don't use any sort of vnc'ish stuff except x2vnc anymore but have in the past and don't remember the details... For linux to linux X has sevices built in. Wayland as I understand is the variable for which something vnc'ish is required.
I do use X, with ssh, and spice on occasion. The thinking is different! You can execute an individual program for example, on the server from your desktop. Not the same as a full desktop in a window I guess, Just a single gui program, FM or a terminal, but without needless mousing around! I remember vnc'ish things being a little fat. I only have windows machines or vms with a vnc server and debian reaches in fine with x2vnc, but the monitors are close so it's only the keyboard and mouse on the vnc, no sluggish video!
CwF

Postby trinidad » 2021-01-28 12:36

i have no idea about Linux

Well there is a learning curve for what you are attempting, but it is security driven, unlike Windows.

There seems to be a general problem accessing Linux systems remotely

There is no problem. Linux just has better network security.

Start with an SSH connection. Once you have established an SSH connection you will be able to easily use VNC with any kind of VNC server including x11vnc through an SSH tunnel. The wayland x11 conflict with xforwarding is resolvable through simple commands and some spice tools, or logging into an x11 session rather than wayland. You can connect wayland to wayland, wayland to x11, x11 to wayland and of course x11 to x11.

Most of what a beginner needs to know about such connections is covered here: https://www.dbts-analytics.com/cruzana.html

I'm not into self promotion (too old to care). I don't even meta tag my pages, and there are no ads. They are written for beginners, directed at first time Linux Lite users, and they are simple to understand.

TC
You can't believe your eyes if your imagination is out of focus.
trinidad

Return to Beginners Questions